Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

External backups

FHC2N

Since I experienced complete crash during a firmware due to read-error from the usb-stick, I've been thinking about this.

I had to ship my unit to poland for repair - new usb-dongle and pairing with unit.

-If i could easily backup the usb-dongle, I would be safe for this trouble. Backup to a cloud or a NAS would do it.

-If I culd do a complete backup of the entire z-wave system and senes and settings, I would not have to start all over again after such a breakdown.

Then the new (or repaired) unit could be up and running in a blast, rather than add every device, write new scenes with new id-numbers.

The backup we have today doesn't do it for major crashes!

I ended up buying a new HC2.  

Hi @FHC2N,

Could you give some more information about what happened between: "I had to ship my unit to poland for repair - new usb-dongle and pairing with unit." and "I ended up buying a new HC2."? HC was still crashing right? Did you try to send it to us under the warranty?

Furthermore, by creating this topic you want to receive some solutions to your problem or do you want to submit an idea, a suggestion for us to develop a Cloud backup for Home Centers?

• Topic Author
  • Hi @I.Srodka

Ok, maybe I should add a few more details.

This post was about submitting an idea, so to simplify a situation where your HC2 comes to a stop.

I got this read-error from usb, I could tell by attaching a monitor to the  HC2.

It's a simple device that made everything stop. So If I could backup the USB in a safe manner, I could replace it my self..

ANd problem would be solved within a few minutes. 

I got a new HC2, so I had to start everything from scratch. With a complete backup of every device-setting, scenes and z-wave topo, this could have been feed back to a new unit, and everything would be up and running in a few minutes. I guess it's all there , inside the HC2, but you need to have an external backup option.

Also, this would make it easy to change HC2 if ever needed, or to clone one to a new one.

I don't know how often this happens, that a box fails. But backups are never wrong.

Why I choose to buy a new one, was because I live outside EU, and I got the impression this would take forever long time to get back- repaired.

However I was wrong there. I drove to Sweeden and shipped from there, and I had it back quite fast. Maybe 2 weeks..

So I guess I can use the other one as a slave or range-extender.. (or backup..(not yet)) ;) 

Edited by FHC2N
    • Thanks 1

@FHC2N,

I'm glad to hear that your warranty procedure went smoothly.

I will move your topic to suggestions because as you said, in general you would like to suggest a better backup system and that is something we have in mind. 

The topic has been moved from "

Please login or register to see this link.

" to "

".

Temat został przeniesiony z "

" do "

".