Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

UBS FGBS-001-S as a car detector

Thomasn

Question

Hi

An idea: Can I place a sensor FGBS-001-S in my car with permanent power and then get a message when the car is leaving or arriving? I think it will disappear from the HC2 when the car is leaving - at least when the sensor FGBS-001-S is out of range - and vice versa when it arrives again. Has anybody tested it? Can it work?

8 answers to this question

Hi @Thomasn!

It is probably possible but we didn't test it personally.

However, it depends on your Z-Wave mesh network how quickly some devices are marked as dead after they go out of range.

You can try to utilize some of this code fragment:

Please login or register to see this code.

So you can set a scene which will sent a notification after it will discover a dead device.

Hi @Thomasn,

Wouldn't be easier to wire it to some button in the car (if there is place for that)? I believe you could use it via associations or scenes to open gate.

@jakub.jezek,

I thought about it too, but it looks like a situation in which the house owner would like to know whether his/their car is at home or not.

Maybe a puzzled parent who wants to have a log, for how long his kid was away? Did he leave on time? etc. 

@I.Srodka,

There are many possibilities for a car in Fibaro via UBS or throough API integrated (I know about Tesla and Volvo). Input in UBS as garage opener and scene for dead device to determine if my car is at home.

Kids do not need to know, that there is something like that in the car. ;D I would tell that only to my service technician to not to touch it.

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, jakub.jezek said:

Hi @Thomasn,

Wouldn't be easier to wire it to some button in the car (if there is place for that)? I believe you could use it via associations or scenes to open gate.

Yes, probably. But in that case I would use a Fibaro button. My intention is to make a LUA program that discover if the car is arriving and turn on light in the carport if it is dark - or the opposite if the car is leaving. At the same time it could function as a primitive car alarm when I'm not home.

1 hour ago, I.Srodka said:

@jakub.jezek,

Maybe a puzzled parent who wants to have a log, for how long his kid was away? Did he leave on time? etc. 

:-) My boy has his own car - and is studying at an university, so.... And my girl is to young to drive. It was only for convenience and to see what is possible...

1 hour ago, Thomasn said:

Yes, probably. But in that case I would use a Fibaro button. My intention is to make a LUA program that discover if the car is arriving and turn on light in the carport if it is dark - or the opposite if the car is leaving. At the same time it could function as a primitive car alarm when I'm not home.

Ok! : )

So maybe a simple Motion Sensor would be easier to set up.

• Inquirer
  • 4 hours ago, I.Srodka said:

Ok! : )

So maybe a simple Motion Sensor would be easier to set up.

I already have a motion sensor. But that is a boring solution :-) 

Hi! If I have UBS installed into my car with permanent power and then wired to a certain car button (e.g. lights), would it work as garage opener? Say I arrive and blink my lights - how quickly would UBS register on the z-wave network? Would it send the signal immediately?

Edited by Ros