Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Why do my Fibaro Wall Plugs keep going dead?

Ole

Question

I manage three houses (home, work, parents house) using Fibaro Home Center (both HCL and HC2) and for controlling the panelheaters I use a lot of wall plugs. Why on earth do they keep going dead? Every month between 1-3 of them go dead. I then have to force remove from Home Center, reset the wall plug and then ad it again. This very rearly happens with any other device, but with the wall plugs, very often. Anybody have an idea why that is? It is very frustrating.

• Inquirer
  • 22 minutes ago, kunoch said:

I am using the Aeonlabs ZW075 and do not have any of such issues at all (10 Amps max). Try to get them refunded and change to something reliable.

I am also using the devolo wall switches and they also have not shown any failure for almost a year now (template is limited but OK).

I do suspect as the electric heaters are for sure a bigger load, that there are some transients when switching on and off and this is causing the Z-wave part of the electronics to 'halt/freeze'. So even a SW update of the plugs would not help.

The manual states there is a relay, so this is for sure the source of the spikes, most probably causing the device to halt.

Yes I have some other wall plugs as well with little or no issues. Unfortunately my Fibaro wall plugs are too old to be returned. I only have two heaters that are more than 10 amps and they are both connected to the older 101 wall plugs and have had no issues for years.

Guest lochnesz

I have also a bunch of Gen5 Wall Plugs with communication issues. After exclusion/inclusion they work for a while, and then they start to have more and more communication timeouts until they stop communication altogether. New exclusion/inclusion makes them work again...for a little while... I use them with Aeon Z-stick Gen5.

Were your issues resolved?

• Inquirer
  • On 11/11/2018 at 12:06 AM, lochnesz said:

I have also a bunch of Gen5 Wall Plugs with communication issues. After exclusion/inclusion they work for a while, and then they start to have more and more communication timeouts until they stop communication altogether. New exclusion/inclusion makes them work again...for a little while... I use them with Aeon Z-stick Gen5.

Were your issues resolved?

Hi! Nope, I have a couple of them sitting on a shelf. I'm fed up with resetting them. Maybe if they issue a firmware update I might give them another try. The previous version of the wall plug (101) is so much more stable. Replaced them with Telldus wall plugs, no issues.

Guest lochnesz
    19 minutes ago, Ole said:

Hi! Nope, I have a couple of them sitting on a shelf. I'm fed up with resetting them. Maybe if they issue a firmware update I might give them another try. The previous version of the wall plug (101) is so much more stable. Replaced them with Telldus wall plugs, no issues.

That is not good, the Fibaro plugs are not cheap...

I have no clue about my warranty status for my Fibaro plugs. Did you contact Fibaro for a resolution, maybe replacing them?

Edited by lochnesz

• Inquirer
  • 5 hours ago, lochnesz said:

That is not good, the Fibaro plugs are not cheap...

I have no clue about my warranty status for my Fibaro plugs. Did you contact Fibaro for a resolution, maybe replacing them?

No I didn't. International shipping would eat up a lot of the money I spent on the other wall plug. And I'm not even sure if they are covered by warranty anymore. I should have returned them the first time they started misbehaving.

Guest lochnesz
    37 minutes ago, Ole said:

No I didn't. International shipping would eat up a lot of the money I spent on the other wall plug. And I'm not even sure if they are covered by warranty anymore. I should have returned them the first time they started misbehaving.

I will give it a go and contact Fibaro support.

I have a total of 9 wall plugs and at least 5 of them have gone dead at some time. They working fine about 1-6 months then I have to make a hard reset on them, and then they are working fine again for a couple of months.

Have not try to make them powerless for a few minutes and then try, but I'll do that the next time.

I have only Gen 5.

Edited by Fjodor78

Same here. Firmware 3.2 went into communication problems on and on.

The older 101 are workong well

What a shame that Fibaro dont fix it.

• Inquirer
  • On 3/27/2018 at 10:37 AM, kunoch said:

I am using the Aeonlabs ZW075 and do not have any of such issues at all (10 Amps max). Try to get them refunded and change to something reliable.

I am also using the devolo wall switches and they also have not shown any failure for almost a year now (template is limited but OK).

I do suspect as the electric heaters are for sure a bigger load, that there are some transients when switching on and off and this is causing the Z-wave part of the electronics to 'halt/freeze'. So even a SW update of the plugs would not help.

The manual states there is a relay, so this is for sure the source of the spikes, most probably causing the device to halt.

Yeah, the thing is that my non-Fibaro 102 wall plugs work fine in the same socket and connected to the same panel heater. Both Fibaro 101 wall plug and Telldus wall plug have not had this issue. Only the 102.

I found this tread an i must say i have the same problems over and over with some Wall Plugs. What i think is, that the short switching wall plugs goes dead faster as the long switchung one e.g. if i switch 2x light in 24 h all okay. When i switch all 2 hours the dead comes very fast. And yes, some plugs deconnect and connect and they runs. Other times it ist completle dead and must be reinclude.

I don't buy anymore fibaro wall plugs if this was not fixed.  Thats a thing, that goes over one year and no fix :-(((

BR Tom 

Sorry for bumping this post, but it seems like the issue is still going strong. I'm also having the same issues mentioned here.

• Like 1

Same problem as described above: two plugs that goes dead very often, sometimes it's enough unpluggin them, but sometimes I've to exclude and include again

I've been working with @robmac and a user called "robbert" on the OpenHAB forum on a FGWP102 fw 3.2 case...

Please login or register to see this link.

I have a private conversation with more details but you don't need this, here is the TL;DR:... It appears in robbert's environment, and after sending many on/off commands (and fast) the FGWP-102 does not really exclude itself... It looks more like it factory resets. So the FGWP will stop sending receiving data, while the controller still think it exists. So OpenHAB (or any other gateway) will mark it as "dead". The ring will glow RED after unplug-plug, indicating it is not joined to a Z-Wave network. With Zniffer capture we can confirm the device simply "disappears" and only exclude and include will bring it back. A possible explanation is the non volatile memory gets corrupted and the device (factory) resets. On possible external cause is that this user has a neighbor with Z-Wave and a somewhat busy network. But I cannot link anything I see (on that foreign network) with this issue.

Tagging @m.roszak - this is an old topic but the problem seems to be very real but shows only in a specific environment. User "robbert" has contacted support very recently. Is there any chance you can work with him (and @robmac and me) on this case?

• Like 1

Hi,

If this will be needed I will gladly help, I have also forwarded this topic to hardware engineer.

Regards,
    M. Roszak

• Like 1

6 hours ago, m.roszak said:

Hi,

If this will be needed I will gladly help, I have also forwarded this topic to hardware engineer.

Thank you!

Because the Wall Plugs of @r0b were procured through  "amazon.de" I am tagging mr @tinman because he does tech support for that part of the market...