Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Problem Integrating weather Sensor with RGBW Module

m.o.d.a.w.

Question

Hello to all,

I'm trying to integrate a weather sensor with 0-10v analog Output to my HC2 using the Inputs of the RGBW module.

While doing that I'm getting no correct voltage measurements.

While measuring GND and IN1 or IN2 connected, I’m getting constant about 5V DC.

While measuring GND in the Cable from windsensor (not connected to IN1) I get reliable results from 0-10V. Same with Light Sensor.

As today was a very sunny day, it was the first time I could measure at the light sensor 5,4V on the RGBW and the cable. It seems to me, that if the sensor's Output is more than 5v I get reliable results in the HC2.

What is it, what I’m doing wrong in this case? I’m desperate at the moment and hope for you help...

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by m.o.d.a.w.

8 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • @petergebruers and @tinman , thanks for answering so quickly.

As I'm more the Kind of Economist guy, I'm not really firm in Building something like you suggested. I'm therefore thinking of 2 Options at them Moment:

1. Is it possible to get something like you suggested already as a "product" - I mean Kind of a Signal amplifier.

2. Can you help me by descbribing the needed parts and construction layout, so that I can find someone with more experience in something like that.

@tinman yeah I would say so. I think I could get it soldered, but I'm absolutly not sure how and what and why to use.

• Inquirer
  • What do you think about the following "Ready-to-install-components". May they work?

Bsp 1: 

Please login or register to see this link.

Bsp 2: 

18 hours ago, m.o.d.a.w. said:

What do you think about the following "Ready-to-install-components". May they work?

Bsp 1: 

Bsp 2: 

Hi ! I've had a look at both and they seem OK to me. The datasheet has all the necesary specs. The first one only outputs max. +-6mA but the RGBW only needs 1 mA, so that's OK. It has 2 channels which is what you want.

The second one is single channel, but it offers offset "einstellbar mit Poti „0“ ±1,2V" and also gain. But if your sensors are "in spec" you can correct some offset and gain on your HC so it is not a big advantage.

Before you pay this amount of money... Are your sure the RGBW has enough resolution? It only reports in 0.1 V increments == 1% of full scale. For example, if your light sensor has 20000 Lux full scale, then it can only report 0 Lux (and it might not get that low...) then 200 then 400 and nothing in between. If you want to measure sunlight, that's OK. If you want to measure night/dark that's not enough resolution.

• Inquirer
  • Yes I know that problem, but I don‘t know a better solution. Mainly I need wind, Rain and temperature so this is ok for me. Lightsensor is at the moment only a addon for me. As far as I know the RGBW has a resulution of 0,01v but zwave is restricted to 0,1v. Do you know a better solution for my Problem?

11 minutes ago, m.o.d.a.w. said:

Yes I know that problem, but I don‘t know a better solution. Mainly I need wind, Rain and temperature so this is ok for me. Lightsensor is at the moment only a addon for me. As far as I know the RGBW has a resulution of 0,01v but zwave is restricted to 0,1v. Do you know a better solution for my Problem?

The chip on the RGBW can do better indeed, but the way they report the value only gives 1% resolution. I do not think this will change on this module and I do not know if they are planning any updated DC module. I do not think you can buy a better Z-Wave module with 0-10 V input. Qubino sells the "Flush Dimmer 0-10V" but I have never tried it. It is single channel input and output. I cannot tell if it is compatible with your sensor, the manual seems to suggest it contains a current source at the input, like the RGBW, but a much lower value. Even if it works, I think it is an expensive solution. For "electronics enthusiasts" there is also the Z-Uno 

- but even then it would take some long winter evenings to build a good quad 0-10 V sensor... I own a few Z-Uno so I know it is possible (if you like programming, electronics and so on). It is a hobby, I can advise you, but I do not sell solutions.

I hope someone else can help you. But I have joined every possible discussion regarding analog sensors and, how shall I put it, it is dying business. The future is digital sensors... So maybe weather enthusiast can help you decide if it is worth the trouble... or invest in something like, for example, "Netatmo". I do not own one and I do not follow the discussions (I read them, then forget...) so this certainly is not a buying advise. Analog still makes totally sense if you already have good quality, durable sensors.

• Inquirer

• ok now it works :-) I've bought the part of Example 1 and in a junction box, which is located approximately the center of the cable connected. Now the values are displayed correctly in the HC2. Thank you again for the hints that ultimately led to the solution.

However, I still have 2 questions that now address further areas:

1. To reduce the traffic, I have set the polling ("Devices polled periodically") to 120 seconds and the parameter 43 ("Reporting 0-10V ...") to 0.5V. So I get an update immediately for stronger wind changes and otherwise only every 2 minutes. That should be so correct, right?
     2. I would like to use the anemometer for the sun blind control, but I want to avoid that a short gust of wind makes sure that the sun blinds go up. So I would like to implement the following things and wonder if and how it could go.
     a. MAX wind speed per day (last day or last 24 hours is enough)
     b. MIN wind speed per day (or last day or last 24 hours is enough)
     c. Durschn. Wind speed last 24 hours
     d. Durchn. Wind speed last 5 minutes. => Will be relevant later for external blind control.
     e. Nice to have would be graphic representation like in a chart.

Has anyone implemented something like that or simlar to that, so I would not have to start with "0" programming. Would be very grateful for your help.