Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Delays in reaction

chapa

@chapa of course got FIBARO HC2 z-wave certified (March 2015)

Please login or register to see this link.

At that time it passed "security" certification, with the latest available SDK for ZW0301 SoC.

Since then lot of things changed, S0 with AES128 got "recommended" and since few months deprecated,

now one can only certify with S2 as this becomes "mandatory". The link you posted, yeah, just search z-wave alliance product db,

and you will find out that there is not so many S2 devices at all, controller even less.

HC2 is still using ZW0301 SoC, but this does not means Fibaro is sleeping, the z-wave firmware got changed since 2015 multiple times, 

so it does support currently S0 and S2 (and you will find exact the same supported classes on latest Sigma designs controller example) 

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_05/image.png.b5b08dc1eaa6dfb847b186d2ef214e17.png" alt="image.png.b5b08dc1eaa6dfb847b186d2ef214e17.png" />

Sure, it has been not S2 certified, but that's because z-wavealliance requests here ZW500 SoC, and btw. there are not so many certified gateway controllers with S2 (only the Vera OEM versions, and another one which does support only few devices, so not lot of choice here). Other controllers, using S2, are not certified as well for now, as this is not so easy ... so sometimes things are not working as they should. The best example -> z-wavealliance own CIT and zwave products Toolbox are not even S2 certified as controllers

For sure is security important, but S0 is crap, it does produce twice that much traffic (and actually not only Fibaro support, but as well other z-wave manufacturers "recommends, when having traffic issues, to disable S0"), S2 does only 1.2-1.5 more traffic than without security enabled. The new ZW700 series will be here much better, but it's not yet available, not as hardware nor SDK. I'm not trying to protect Fibaro, but that's the z-wave reality. From marketing point of view, z-wave with S2 is there, but the reality is bit different. Luckily, now under Silabs umbrella, z-wave will evolve much faster, so let's keep finger crossed.

• Thanks 1

• Topic Author
  • Hi @tinman

Excellent post.

In reality, I can not trigger 60 secure included sensors, e.g. opening 20 doors, enter 20 rooms triggering motions, while I unlock my securely included door lock, being shutting down 25 secure roller shutters.

I believe this may cause traffic issues, even I don't see good reason for that considering packet frame sizes, mesh topology and retries.

But I am not talking about such a cases.

It is enough to add one secure device to HC2 and start observing issues, see my experiment above.

And definitively the issues are not traffic ones.

Of course 2x traffic is big overhead, but to relative calm, almost standby home automation system, this should not be an issue.

In my opinion, the problem is software one, beside HC2, handling the secure protocol.

Regret at that time I did not have Z-Wave sniffer to observe the radio, and be more concrete now.

Since that moment I migrated all my devices as non-secure.

Anyway, any Fibaro statement about such a serious issues will be welcome by newcomers.

• 4 months later...

Same issue here.

HC2 stops executing tasks and all of a sudden all tasks are executed as they were stacked in a buffer.
    No troubleshooting tool available in HC2 to help.

I also think its an Fibaro HC2 software issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I am also experiencing delays. Not in device to device communication, but when a scene is involved. 

One device associated with another device works without delays in other words. No issues at tall.

Scenes run immediately if started manually from the HC2's user interface or programmatically from a VD or another scene, but when triggered by a wall switch (S1 or S2 on a Fibaro wall switch), then the scene takes 10-20 seconds to start. It used to be instant.

I am on the 4.510 release and almost all my switches are from Fibaro.

Still same here!

No reaction from fibaro technical team ?

Its disappointing to notice that the service is not matching the promise.

@IPS any comment ?

Edited by sumsum

• 1 year later...

I‘m experiencing exactly the same issues. Anyhow, I‘ve used Homee as well as home assistant (with a PI 3). Both had the same issue which makes it to a Fibaro / ZWave issue.

Question to you guys: Did you find a solution? Or was this problem solved by Fibaro by an update?

As Fibaros zwave update mechanism is closed and just can be done with Fibaro HC, I‘m thinking of updating my devices by buying a Fibaro HC... anyhow, this would just make sense for me if this issue is fixed.

Thanks,

Christoph

@Rodiiii with such vague complaints ("I have delays") it could be anything... And I cannot tell you if a HC2 or 3 would solve your problem(s). I manage a 90 node network and since many years I haven't had significant issues, but I decided to learn as much as I could about how Z-Wave works. This has lead to private discussions and after a while forum member @amilanov shared his (our) experience and what we have learned in this post:

58 minutes ago, Rodiiii said:

updating my devices

AFAIK there have not been device updates affecting "delays" in a while, so not likely to solve your problem.

Use "Secure" mode on older devices (called "S0" security) only for devices that can open doors/gates/blinds. Don not use it for anything else. It slows down your devices very significantly.

Edited by petergebruers

• 6 months later...

@petergebruers Dear Peter, Thank you so much for linking 

. I just disabled all energy and power reports for all of my devices, and voila, my zwave network is really stable now.

• Like 1