Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Universal Binary Sensor Hanging

deloosem

Question

Its been puzzling me.
I have 2 binary sensors. 1 is monitoring some doors and outside temp and one is linked to the doorbell and a button for my kid to open some doors/gates when she leaves for school.

One of the sensors sometimes stoppes responding to any inputs and yesterday did just hang. I had to take the power off and back on and now its just working fine.

They both use the same dedicated rack power supply. So if one fails the other should have troubles as well.

I have the same with an ubs I use in the living room. That one has a temp sensor on it for the heating. It too sometimes hangs and I have to take the power off.  It uses a wall plugged power supply

Right now I don't have fait in the Fibaro Universal Sensor. Its too unreliable. Maybe I need to find another solution from another company.

Does anyone have a clue as of what might be happening.

14 answers to this question

I´m struggling with the same issue, but I noticed that it only seems to happen on the UBS, that has different length of wire to the temperature sensors.

It freezes up and I have to remove the power and plug it back in. So it is very unreliable.

Do you have a temperature sensor connected to the one that hangs?

Edited by TurboWannaBe

• Inquirer
  • The one in the living room has a temp sensor and hangs sometimes.

The one that I am now talking about has no temp sensor.

• Inquirer
  • There is one patern I start to notice.

When  I add (maybe even remove) a new device the UBS hangs and does not respond to its inputs.
    I just added a double switch(fibaro) and after that the UBS got stuck again.

Maybe its a coincidence but I had the same problem after I re-added a door sensor(fibaro).

• Inquirer
  • @martinreulink No I did not. 
    I am looking into using an esp8266 (microcontroller) to use as base for my temp sensors and then using lua to read them out.

The fibaro stuff has a mind of its own sadly 

@deloosem: The dealer/webshop told me that it could be an distance problem. 
    My distance is now 8 meter between UBS and HC2. I don't think that is the problem, but i give it a try.

Question: what is your power supply? (voltage/ampere)

Hello,

Maybe its a problem like this: You can check if there some misplaced coating in the socket of the connector. I had similar problems and I carefully scratched pieces out with a thin needle. The female connector fits much better now and since then I had no problems anymore.

I have 2 inputs and 4 temp sensors running about a year and no hanging...

Other problem: sometimes i got short temperature peaks witch are totaly wrong without doubt. Sometimes much to high somtimes much to low. By next reading its ok again.

Hope this helpes.

Regards

Hi, could you show me how to wired the binary sensor to door?

i would like use the binary sensor with a other magnetic sensor for open/close doors/windows...

Hello @Euki,

I dont use it with doors or windows. I connected the inputs to potetial free contacts of my oil burner and solar pump. The contacts are closed if device is running. One terminal to IN1/2 other to GND. You can use the 2nd GND wire or directly use GND of the power supply for both inputs. The inputs appears as motion sensors in HC. Hope this helps you with your question.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:50 PM, TurboWannaBe said:

I´m struggling with the same issue, but I noticed that it only seems to happen on the UBS, that has different length of wire to the temperature sensors.

It freezes up and I have to remove the power and plug it back in. So it is very unreliable.

So did

Do you have a temperature sensor connected to the one that hangs?

HGM1: I have been struggling with the same problem. Some times it can be running for more weekx, other times only hours without problems. When I restart the 12V power supply it works agian. I use 3 pcs of 1 m original Fibaro temperature probes. But for one of them I have extended the wire to about 4-5 m by soldering the leads together. So did you really found that different wire lenghts are the problem, then I'll try to analyze it as well.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:50 PM, TurboWannaBe said:

I have had 2or3 Fibaro Universal Binary Sensors ... and they have failed me in different ways .. this time I am using it with 4 temp sensors .. at different lengths along the cable with the furtherest being +- 25m away. They would read for awhile then one would stall then more etc etc like you all are saying. Very frustrating the unit cannot be restarted without touching it and it was was in the roof space near the geysers . Or as I found re-setting it but then all my scenes etc needed resetting. I tried new cable , new temp sensors , new power sources loke alot of the suggestions in forums. I was giving up on it and looking for alternatives. 

My Vera Plus was located in the study downstairs ... so to reset it I unplugged and took it to the roof plugged it in a lan cable , did the reset... did this many times... then one day I was too rushed to return the Vera Plus to the Study downstairs ... Everthing else seemed to work so I left it there just 2m away from the FUBS ... Since then the unit has not missed a beat. My problem with the unit was solved