Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[Feature Request] Extend user management and permissions

winromulus

Hi,

I'm having a lot of issues with user management and permissions. Maybe I'm missing something but I've searched for related topics and couldn't find anything directly related (if I missed something, please reference it).

I need to delegate permissions to users in a manner that doesn't fit in the Super User/User schema.

Right now I'm the only super user on all HC devices, and I create users for my tenants and allow them control by checking which devices are allowed to be controlled.

Apart from the limitations of this (which I'll expand on in the next part), any new devices added are not automatically granted access to the users (which I know is intended right now).

It would help if we had the following:

1. Ability to create roles and user groups and assign roles to users and groups.
  2. Roles should permit permissions for operational and administrative actions.
  3. Roles should be link-able to either devices or rooms/sections/whole house.

An example:

• Role - Kids
    • Actions allowed
      • Control device
    • Linked to
      • Fixed list of devices
  • Role - Grandparents
    • Actions allowed
      • Control device
      • Control scene
      • Control heating/cooling
    • Linked to
      • List of rooms/whole house
  • Role - Power User
    • Actions allowed
      • Control device
      • Configure device
      • Configure panels
    • Linked to
      • Whole house

This would allow me to grant permissions to my family members, tenants etc. in a manner which ensures they don't mess up configurations but also gives them access to what they would like to do.

This prevents issues like: "Dad, can you turn the heating lower in my room at night?" :)

This would solve some of the issues with installer access as well since I would be able to grant them full permissions to some devices or rooms so they can knock themselves out until they get devices running, and revoke it after.

Hotel mode is not a good alternative since it cannot distinguish properly between users.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

except "power user to configure", you can do all the things on HC3. For "power user to reconfigure" something one can do following:

- transfer admin role

- write QA with API call for reconfiguraton of parameters (everything can be reconfigured in that way)

- use profiles to control things, e.g. run reconfiguration scene or QA, and give only the profile right to to power user

I use the last option for e.g. change Walli line colors by the user itself, enable/disable scenes depending on needs.

• Topic Author
  • This seems like a workaround for something that should be built in.

As mentioned, I would like both me and my wife (for example) to be admins. Currently I have to update her user every time something new is added.

While I understand that there are workarounds for this (simplest is to share a user), I would like to know Fibaro's stance on this, is this something planned or will it ever be on the backlog or will the suggestion be closed.

Thanks