Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro RGBW controller with physical 3-way toggle switches

Jan Kadlec

Question

I am in the planning phase of electrical installation for our apartment.

I intend to use a Fibaro RGBW controller to control a RGBW LED strip located in a ceiling panel. The strip and controller shalll be both powered by a 12V/24V transformator located also in the ceiling panel. The strip should be controllable remotely by Z-Wave and physically by a set of three toggle switches from three locations (3-way, 4-way, 3-way switch).

How should the wiring look like, especially how the switches should be wired to the Fibaro RGBW controller? Is it possible to use between the switches a standard traveler wiring (first picture) with copper wires with gauge used for 230V alternate current, when the controller itself is for 12V/24V direct current and uses thinner wires? I do not understand how this should work together. (See second picture).

If this idea is wrong, how would you recommend to control the strip from several places? I cannot figure out how to get this setup working.

Thanks for help.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Jan Kadlec

7 answers to this question

Hmmm, i recognise my drawings :D.

In basics. You have standard 6+7+6 connection and in the last box (under last switch), there has to be power supply cables for RGBW module. And yes, in scheme (2nd picture), there is mistake (done by me). You have to connect switches to -12V (-) wire (1st switch in left).

• Inquirer
  • Yes, I posted the drawing which you sent to me, to explain the situation, because it was the best I had at my disposal - thanks for it. I hope I didn't violate any author's rights by posting the picture :-).

As I understood, it's no problem to use 230V copper wiring for a 12V/24V circuit, which was my main concern.

In the classical wiring, the switches are on the Live wire, and the Neutral wire goes through the installation boxes, not being connected to the switches. If I understand correctly, in the suggested wiring for Fibaro, the switches are connected to the -12V and no other wire is going through the installation boxes. If this is OK with the European/Czech electrical standards, given that the colors of the used wires used are in accordance with colors used for the direct current, then the solution seems feasible to me.

Theoretically, if the standard 230V wiring (live, neutral, ground) was installed without Fibaro, and then later I wanted to change the setup and install Fibaro, it seems possible to make it work, but in this case the wires in the wall would have wrong colors which would probably be in conflict with the electrical standards.

Any ideas on this?

• Like 1

There are no rights to that drawing :D.

And like i said through mail. Electrician should tell if it's ok to use or not.

Also, maybe others will tell you if it's ok, atleast according EU standards (CZ ones are not much different).

• Inquirer
  • Hi again. I instructed the electrician to prepare the wiring in the walls and ceiling according to the drawing from you. He used momentary switches and all wires are the copper 1,5mm wires (CYKY). Then I added the Fibaro RGBW controller to my HC2. I am able to control the RGBW LED strip using the web or mobile interface for the HC2. However, the physical switches do not work, the Fibaro system does not respond to them, at all. Do you have any ideas what could be wrong? Did we need to use toggle switches instead, does it make any difference? Did anybody succeed in the same scenario?

Thanks for any hints.

Edited by Jan Kadlec

Hi Jan,
    have a similar request (to control rgbw led strip with 3 toggle switches and application).

I used the next connection scheme:

It works with the next advanced parameters: 
    - Controll device: RGBW device
    - Keys: toggle switch

- Parameters 20,21,22,23 are selected by 3. "Toggle switch: switch state on every input change

BUT, have the next issue:
    to turn light ON:
    I need to "turn light on" in application,  then I can turn it really on/off using toggle switch.  In application it steal looks like turned ON.
    If I turn off the light in application, there are no reaction with toggle switch's.

If I turn on the light in application, then turned ON the light with toggle switch, then turn off the light with toggle switch -> and start any scenario - it will start, but if I turn it off with toggle switch - it will not work properly (1 of RGBW light will remain on in any toggle switch position, by the time you turn it manually off in application)

how to make it all work simultaneously? ?
    in the way it works with dimmer: turn on with toggle switch -> turn off with application -> turn on with toggle switch etc...

Hi

Did you manage to sort this?  As just set up similar with the same issue!

Many thanks

Hi. Yes it works for me, I am using the wiring from my first post, all wires are 230V copper wires, the wall switches are connected to one of the control inputs. The switches are momentary switches, so that the dimming is usable and colors need to be handled by the Fibaro application.