Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

External power supply to a fibaro door sensor. Crazy idea ?

crazy72

Question

Hi 

Am i crazy if I want to connect an external power supply to the fiabr door sensors ?
The idea is to use the sensor with the battery so in case the power has gone off the sensor will continue to work. 
Required: 
- rechargeable battery 14250
- This one to provide 220V-5V 

Please login or register to see this link.

- It will be connected to this one to have a recharge module and not overload the battery

For less than 10 euros we have a powered z-wave door sensor with backup power supply. (extender function not available)

What do you think ?

Thanks
Chris

I can't do that right now, I am not at home, but I can tell the black goes to the gnd connection of that blue terminal block (with the gnd leg of the DS18B20) and the polyfuse connects to the plus of the battery clip (edit: do can leave out the polyfuse, it is a leftover from another project.). The clips are hard to solder onto, so I used the nearest pad on the pcb instead.

Edited by petergebruers

1 minute ago, Sjekke said:

Can I put the battery in a case with isolation? 

You mean... "thermal insulation"? To improve performance? I do not know. I doubt it. If you do not have heat source to keep it warm, it will still cool during the night.

I have done this with two of Fibaro Window/Door sensors using the following power supply from Amazon UK and are working fine: 

I select this PSU for several reasons. It has a 3V output so I can match the battery voltage. At 3V this outputs 600mA which is the lowest I could find. I couldn't find the mA comsuption of the Fibaro Window/Door sensor but I knew the Saft LS 14250 1/2 AA cell 3,6V Li-ion SOCl2 batteries are 1200mAh. According to Fibaro this should last around 1 year in "ideal conditions" (*) so this means the sensors don't need much current. This PSU is also German so it's likely to be of good quality and last longer than a cheap Chinese adapter. 

I don't understand the original poster idea to have a recharable battery connected to a charger. Seems to over complicate things. Just buy a power supply with the correct specifications, solder the cables to the battery connectors and forget about changing batteries ever again!

In my case the main reason to wire these Fibaro Window/Door sensors was to avoid constant battery changes. One of these sensors was in my house porch which gets really cold in winter. This meant that batteries will last weeks not months during winter.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:45 PM, Turribeach said:

I have done this with two of Fibaro Window/Door sensors using the following power supply from Amazon UK and are working fine: 

I select this PSU for several reasons. It has a 3V output so I can match the battery voltage. At 3V this outputs 600mA which is the lowest I could find. I couldn't find the mA comsuption of the Fibaro Window/Door sensor but I knew the Saft LS 14250 1/2 AA cell 3,6V Li-ion SOCl2 batteries are 1200mAh. According to Fibaro this should last around 1 year in "ideal conditions" (*) so this means the sensors don't need much current. This PSU is also German so it's likely to be of good quality and last longer than a cheap Chinese adapter. 

I don't understand the original poster idea to have a recharable battery connected to a charger. Seems to over complicate things. Just buy a power supply with the correct specifications, solder the cables to the battery connectors and forget about changing batteries ever again!

In my case the main reason to wire these Fibaro Window/Door sensors was to avoid constant battery changes. One of these sensors was in my house porch which gets really cold in winter. This meant that batteries will last weeks not months during winter.

Do you have any pictures of your project?

Edited by Sjekke

2 hours ago, Sjekke said:

Do you have any pictures of your project?

My solution doesn't involve any batteries. Just buy the power supply I linked above, or any other equivalent power supply, and wire it directly to the Fibaro sensor. See picture below on how it looks on one of my sensors. The PSU I suggested can easily power 10 Fibaro Door sensors so if you can wire more than one per PSU that will be more power efficient.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Hi @Turribeach, thx for sharing, nice solution.

I agree with you that this the easiest way for not using batteries anymore, but I will stay with external batteries for security reasons. If a person with special needs (buglar ex.) cuts the electricity, your sensors don’t work anymore. The combination of both should be the ideal solution where the batterij is used as ups.

On 3/28/2018 at 3:53 PM, matt1981 said:

im using 2 Panasonic NCR18650B batteries in series with a Regolabile Buck Converter DC DC Step Down, 24V a 12V 9V 5V 3V to bring down the amps and voltage.  it allows for Input voltage: 4.5V to 28V; Output voltage: 0.8V to 20V

Hi @matt1981, can you connect a 18650 directly > risk higher voltage then the sensor can handle.

Hi @matt1981 .. do you mean something like this?  

Edited by Sjekke

That type of converter (LM2596 and equivalent) will regulate the voltage, but won't make you happy. The standby current of those modules is in the order of 10 mA so will drain your cells fast.

I use a single 3.6 Volt liion cell on my (modified) Fibaro button. The voltage right after charging, 4.2 V, is slightly too high, if you don't trust that add a single diode in series for a little bit of voltage drop.