Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Connecting single switch output to multiple Dimmer 2

prankit

Question

Hi guys,

So I am wondering if it is possible to connect three Fibaro Dimmer 2's to a single switch in a way so that I have one master physical switch to control three lights while still being able to control the three lights individually through the app?

I am aware I could have one dimmer connected to the switch and the rest associated via Z-Wave but I have had issues with associations in the past so didn't want to rely on that. 

Thanks,

8 answers to this question

you need 3 modules per light circuit. your best bet if you have a neutral is to use a fibaro double switch to control 2 of the lights and then stick the 3rd device in the ceiling.

If you had room you could mount a 3 pole relay which when powered by a push button switched the three dimmer 2s together.

This would still give you the option to control them individually thru app and locally if wired correctly 

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

One switch to 3 dimmers? And app? What @Jamie mccrostie says solves the electrical problem. But...

If you set lights A and B to on and B is off... You click the switch... A and B turn on and C turns off.

Nah, I don't think I would like that kind of arrangement...

I'd buy a "scene controller" like a zrc-90 (by Remotec) - 8 buttons that can run a scene, so you can define (at least) that amount of "sets of dimming levels" on your three dimmers. This is not a buying advise, there are other scene controllers and maybe you do not like the device for some reason (silver buttons?). The Fibaro Keyfob has 6 buttons, I like that one very much (I own 2 of them). I think it could act as a remote up/down for 3 dimmers. It certainly can run scenes. So that is a buying advice :-) Look at manuals.fibaro.com to see what it can do... One of my scenes is "Watch TV" and it sets about 10 different devices.

All dimmers have an unused S2, it can run scenes. But then you'd have to buy three double momentary switches, that would probably cost as much as one remote (but have the advantages, they do not get lost like a keyfob and do not need batteries). This opens up up quite a few possibilities as well. For instance, click S2 on a dimmer -> run scene to toggle all lights on or all off (algorithm: if one of the three dimmers is on, turn all off. If all dimmers are off, turn them all on).

Maybe I just do not quite understand what you are trying to do. It happens, sometimes. The more information you give, the better the answer. ;-)

7 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

Personaly Id be using association and be done with it

Sure, that might work. If you make the assumption they should work as one... And associations have quite a bit of weirdness...

For instance if A -> B and B -> C and you change A, then C does not follow... This is part of the Z-Wave spec. Also remote operation has this issue...

Here's an idea using associations though: Use S2 of A to -> B and -> C. That is "5th Association Group" of the A dimmer (FGD-212). Now S2 acts as a kind of "master override". I did a quick test, but I think there is still a bit of weirdness, but OK, it can dim and do on/off. @prankit try it before you buy ;-)

You could try "Device Grouping" but I cannot tell much about it, I do not use it. There are a few posts regarding synchronized dimming using this controller function.

1 minute ago, petergebruers said:

Sure, that might work. If you make the assumption they should work as one... And associations have quite a bit of weirdness...

For instance if A -> B and B -> C and you change A, then C does not follow... This is part of the Z-Wave spec. Also remote operation has this issue...

Here's an idea using associations though: Use S2 of A to -> B and -> C. That is "5th Association Group" of the A dimmer (FGD-212). Now S2 acts as a kind of "master override". I did a quick test, but I think there is still a bit of weirdness, but OK, it can dim and do on/off. @prankit try it before you buy ;-)

You could try "Device Grouping" but I cannot tell much about it, I do not use it. There are a few posts regarding synchronized dimming using this controller function.

Device grouping unfortunately removes using each device individually.

13 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

Device grouping unfortunately removes using each device individually.

Thanks for pointing that out. That is indeed the reason why I do not use it... It works well, for example, if you have a high load, so you are forced to spread that load over multiple devices, but really consider them to be one device. I do think it works well to solve that particular problem though.

Just now, petergebruers said:

Thanks for pointing that out. That is indeed the reason why I do not use it... It works well, for example, if you have a high load, so you are forced to spread that load over multiple devices, but really consider them to be one device. I do think it works well to solve that particular problem though.

Ive used grouping a bit, controlling remote RGBs switching single white strips works ok but with slight delays.

And very quick set up compared with association, it diffently has its place.