Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Released half a year ago..... still not working?!?!?!

oajungen

Question

How the heck is it possible Fibaro released the HC half a year ago and it is still not working?????

It is still overheating extremely, for example:

Bedroom is set to 17c, on HolidayMode while windows are open. Actual temperature is at 21.1c (measured by the sensor it self). Radiator is still extremely hot. Why??????

HC is able to close the radiator, that's not the issue. HC's are calibrated every Wednesday automatically, no errors.

All HC are overheating in other rooms till the temperature is oke in the last room..... because at that moment I tell the boiler to stop heating.

This is really unacceptable! 

I have bought 10 of them in January….. spent €900. I want to sent them back. Fibaro can't make it's promise and is still selling the HC while they know it isn't working.

Meaby it is time for a class action?

Edited by oajungen
  • Like 1

12 answers to this question

We've released a FW update that should resolve that issue. If you're still not happy with your devices, I'd recommend that you contacted our support and discuss all the issues with them directly.

what The f. Is this reaction Fibaro? Everybody wants a solution. Communicate open please with everybody here and all others who have bought the fgt-001 . 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, A.Smolinski said:

We've released a FW update that should resolve that issue.

If you are talking about 4.3, It does not fix the issue reported by the OP. Not in my case, and I am certain there are a few other unsolved issues as well...

19 hours ago, A.Smolinski said:

I'd recommend that you contacted our support and discuss all the issues with them directly.

That is of course good advise, because support handles warranty returns, while forum admins cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, DennisDM said:

what The f. Is this reaction Fibaro?

Yeah, to be honest... That was what I thought as well, but I did not write that because (a) forum rules (b) Mr Smolinski is new and I think he was hired after the (first and second round of) reports of the FGT problems...

I have invited him to a private topic discussing all this. It might take a while, he has to read a lot...

On 5/19/2018 at 9:18 AM, oajungen said:

This is really unacceptable

I have bought 10 of them in January.. spent €900. I want to sent them back.

At the moment, all we have is "we are working on it". So I fully understand you are not happy. If you want to send them back, you'll have to contact support though... I am still waiting on an improved firmware (I own 2 TRVs with external probe)... I'm not sure how I am going to test it though, heating season is over.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, A.Smolinski said:

We've released a FW update that should resolve that issue

I think that everyone who has FGT-001's could not believe his/her eyes when reading this. You can be relatively new to the company, but it says something about the internal communications at Fibaro, to put it politely.

Anyway, can I make a suggestion to Fibaro, now that the heating season is over for most of us, and we cannot test the heating algorithm any more, even if we wanted to.

Fibaro, can you please create an intermediate firmware version that handles at least these problems:

- give visual feedback on the LED ring after manual calibration (calibration OK or NOK)

- after 2 or 3 attempts to calibrate that result in calibration failures, STOP trying (until the next automatic calibration one week later); now it only uses unnecessary power and is noisy

- when the valve is manually set to CLOSED, keep it closed, no matter what; now it regularly controls the actuator for some strange reason

- the same for the manual setting to fully open; keep it open no matter what

- do away with the magical appearance of schedules on the valves that have never been set, not in the HC2 and not on the valve

- fix the sudden rapid draining of power, resulting in a depleted battery in hours

Apart maybe for the last item, it should all be relatively easy to fix, and our valves could at least remain installed until the "real" firmware update is released that corrects the temperature control algorithm.

• Like 1

I know, nobody care, but... I decided not to use FGT in my house heating project (3x130m2)

Don't want to feel like a "lab rat"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack.daniels said:

(...)I decided not to use FGT in my house heating project (3x130m2)

I understand why did not want to be a kind of "beta tester"... I do not blame you for not being one of the lab rats, and in hindsight, for you, that was a good decision ;-)

If you are saying (between the line) - "Guys... You knew you were going to be the lab rats" then at at least I can say, speaking strictly for myself: "Yes, I knew I was going to be a lab rat". And if you somehow, between the lines suggest "you got what you deserved" than also, I do not blame you for that ;-)

My decision to become such a rat was base on multiple aspects and experiences with Fibaro:

• Based on 100 devices with different brands I'd say Fibaro has the best engineering.
  • The devices are FLiRS, have a rechargeable battery and their hardware is certainly "capable".
  • Their "Dimmer 2" had a few issues but they worked on the firmware until they got it right.
  • They have a good concept for their external sensor (BLE probe).

They also added "blackbox logs" though in hindsight probably a bit too late... You can easily underestimate the value of that diagnostic tool! I'd say (purely speculation though) the delay of the next firmware is due to the lab rats not giving up and sending in "logs"... They helped identify some issues...

@jack.daniels here is an honest question for you... Considering the lab rats are helping to fix their product, should they care about those people?

Then they should AT A MINIMUM start by CLEARLY and OPENLY communicating with their community. It think it is not too late to restore faith in the product. But the matter is URGENT. I rarely use capitals in my post...

Can I ask, as a humble end-user but quite passionate about the "heating systems" so to speak, to give Mr @A.Smolinski a bit more time? He is doing a great job answering all those other questions, and I estimate it costs him *at least* a day to get enough background on the FGT issues, and I bet he is not going to post something before he is 100% certain about the contents...

• Like 1

Thank you @petergebruers ,

I can assure you that once I'll have any useful information for you, I'll let you know.

This matter is very important to us and I'll make sure to provide all the data gathered in this post and the conversation about the issue to our engineers.

Till then, keep your fingers crossed and have faith! ;)

• Inquirer
  • On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, A.Smolinski said:

We've released a FW update that should resolve that issue. If you're still not happy with your devices, I'd recommend that you contacted our support and discuss all the issues with them directly.

I don't think you know what you are talking about. I am using latest FW (4.3) since it has been released and the same accounts for the HC2 (beta and release).

The HC's haven't been working from release date up to now as advertised and certainly not the way we may expect.

So the issue of overheating hasn't been solved with FW4.3. It happens with all the HC's I am using. So it is really software related!

I have contacted support and willing to help. But outside temperature today will ben 27c degrees..... so no heating required expect in de cellar which stay cool all year. I would like to heat the cellar a bit, but do not want to heat the other rooms.... Currently this is not possible with the HC!

2 minutes ago, oajungen said:

I don't think you know what you are talking about.

When he posted his first comment, indeed, he did not have enough background. He is reading my private topic dedicated to the FGT issues right now, so that should help. It'll take him a while to read... What you have reported here is part of that private discussion.

4 minutes ago, oajungen said:

I have contacted support and willing to help.

I really like your positive attitude. You are also helping other users. You have to decide for yourself when "enough is enough" and I won't blame you for that... Just wanted to say how much I appreciate your patience!

6 minutes ago, oajungen said:

I would like to heat the cellar a bit, but do not want to heat the other rooms.... Currently this is not possible with the HC!

To be on the safe side... Not saying this applies to your situation but for other people reading this topic:

• Overheating might be less of a problem if you do not use the external probe. Confirmed by Fibaro, "to be fixed".
    • Not all issues are software, it might be the valve is not closing 100% for instance. Fibaro can diagnose this if you send in "blackbox logs".
    • Boiler control influences the response too, and it is very, very hard to diagnose and also a very difficult concept. I am not ready to talk about boiler control on the forum, there are too many aspects to consider. I do want to say, I am "one of those guys without a room thermostat" aka "pure weather compensation". I have talked about that and I am not going to repeat it here, because each time, after spending hours of discussion, people still claim it cannot work without a room thermostat. My message is: you might want to do some research about temperature and boiler control...

2 hours ago, petergebruers said:

If you are saying (between the line) - "Guys... You knew you were going to be the lab rats" then at at least I can say, speaking strictly for myself: "Yes, I knew I was going to be a lab rat"

This is quite a fundamental issue. It suggests that new products, introduced to the market by Fibaro, are essentially in alpha or beta version. And sadly, I have to agree based on experiences of the past year.

When we decide to install BETA versions of Fibaro software, it's a whole different story. We willingly agree to be lab rats, with a high probability of experiencing bugs that will hopefully be fixed by the time the release version becomes available. But it's a deliberate choice.

However, when we buy a boxed product, we expect to receive a working product. I know that small bugs are always possible, but not to the extent of recent products that are not even reliable for the most basic functions of the device.

Lately, there have been several examples: the FGT, the intercom, the Homekit plugs... 

It really undermines the trust in Fibaro products, which is very unfortunate, because I agree with Peter that there are many things to like about them in terms of product design and capabilities... if only they would do what they are supposed to do. 

Edited by marcwau

I think that I have to step in ;)

@petergebruers, thanks for the voice of reason, @A.Smolinski is new here and he is still learning. I would like to ask you to give him some time ;) His answer was a bit unfortunate as the firmware 4.3 was release with intension to fix the issues reported. We received feedback that it didn't and we are working on the next update. That's the case for now. You are welcome to post feedback, but remember to be as factual and constructive as possible! This facilitates and speeds up every process ;)

On 5/22/2018 at 9:13 AM, jack.daniels said:

On 5/22/2018 at 12:15 PM, marcwau said:

This is quite a fundamental issue. It suggests that new products, introduced to the market by Fibaro, are essentially in alpha or beta version. And sadly, I have to agree based on experiences of the past year.

I have to disagree with you. We do not release alpha or beta versions of products and we do not consider our community to be "a testing ground" or a laboratory for our use. FIBARO always intend to release the best product we can, but, as I can admit also as an end-user of many electronic products, every company has ups and downs with releases. This time, we failed. We are doing our best to bring you the firmware you need and, as our customers, deserve.

@petergebruers created a group conversation where we get essential feedback with which we can work on new firmware version. I am keeping an eye on the progress, and though, I cannot give you any ETA of new firmware's release, we have a significant amount of data that we can work with and we will definitely fix the firmware.

So, I'd like to ask you:

1. To stay on topic - give us feedback regarding the issue, steps to reproduce, your findings, etc. But, please, be as clear as possible!

2. To not blame us, administrators, for not knowing something or misunderstanding you. We really want to help you, but we can do that with the feedback about the issue. Being sarcastic, unpleasant towards us and posting off-topic content do not help :(

Thank you guys for being here, I appreciate your contribution and I hope that we will deliver the firmware you will be happy with ;)

Your best choice Fibaro is to give it to the community and make it open source.

We have a popular site where you can compare price and give rating on almost anything and i did my review on this Heat Controller so other don't need to do a bad purchase.

::beep

• Like 2