Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro declining?

mradh

An ideal smart home of the future has best-in-class compartibility with Google Home/Alexa and a ability to execute complex scenes in the background. I don't care about Fibaro's mobile app - it is a terminal patient. Instead I would focus the development roadmap on max interoperability with GH/Alexa and IFTTT. For example, if Fibaro could develop universal VD templates that would emulate standard device types for Google Assistant Home Control  

Please login or register to see this link.

Imagine all your unsupported home devices suddenly being available in the Google Assistant. You could use Fibaro interface to make any device smart and control it via voice or home hub touchscreen.... that would be fantastic and would generate a lot of demand for Fibaro hardware.

Edited by Ros
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fat said:

Completely agree. It adds a long time to logins even when on local connection

i have a static v4 address and static /56 v6 allocation so am happy to just do a direct connection in order to speed things up but am stuck using Fibaro cloud which is rubbish

Sadly, as consumers, we seem to be wandering like sheep into a World of endless subscription services where you pay for an item and then pay a monthly or annual fee to use what you have already paid for. Whilst this vastly boosts the share value of the seller, it does little for the consumer who finds the endless drip, drip, drip of many small amounts becoming an ocean of uncontrollable expenditure.

2 hours ago, Ros said:

An ideal smart home of the future has best-in-class compartibility with Google Home/Alexa and a ability to execute complex scenes in the background. I don't care about Fibaro's mobile app - it is a terminal patient. Instead I would focus the development roadmap on max interoperability with GH/Alexa and IFTTT. For example, if Fibaro could develop universal VD templates that would emulate standard device types for Google Assistant Home Control  

Imagine all your unsupported home devices suddenly being available in the Google Assistant. You could use Fibaro interface to make any device smart and control it via voice or home hub touchscreen.... that would be fantastic and would generate a lot of demand for Fibaro hardware.

I would suggest strongly, that Google Assistant, like Amazon, is focused on the accumulation of material wealth and not the quality of life. If you read the details carefully and join all the dots, Alexa sends everything it hears to third party companies for analysis and I am surprised that many do not see the major breech of privacy in this strategy. After all, Google is known to collect all kinds of information about the individual's browsing habits and manipulate this into information, information that none of the collectors seems to be able to control. Are you aware that Amazon provides over 60% of global web services? Some only view the convenience of technology without the understanding of the need to set parameters for safety. I am reminded of the famous poem by 

in the Holocaust Museum.

-------

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me. 

--------

We should always be diligent and careful what we find convenient in the short term because they lead tot he Law of Unintended Consequences". What we have under our roof is usually under our control, as we contract 3rd parties to do our thinking for us and give them control of our financial welfare, we may be making ourselves very vulnerable to unscrupulous organisation. I agree with earlier contributors who say they would rather be able to control their homes directly.

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2018 at 3:03 AM, alandee said:

Fibaro still is my system of choice, but there is a lot of competition circling and they need to up their game !

+1 to that but more than up their game they need to let others help.

They need a community of solutions but they turn off the plugin framework rather than fix a minor security issue. Mad when what the platform needs is more integrations. Particularly as the ones they provide either do not work or are more than a little limp.

The new owners need to step in quick or they will soon have a dying platform.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robmac said:

They need a community of solutions but they turn off the plugin framework rather than fix a minor security issue. Mad when what the platform needs is more integrations. Particularly as the ones they provide either do not work or are more than a little limp.

The new owners need to step in quick or they will soon have a dying platform.

+1

Hi @robmac Robert,

you took the words right out of my mouth; well said

On 6/13/2018 at 4:57 AM, mradh said:

I have given up on support, or the lack thereof, a long time ago and feel that clients are left on their own.

Hi @mradh,

sharing that with you! My experience was, that support has closed my ticket with answer, that i had perhaps "unwanted characters" in my code remarks. Except cleaning non existing devices in the database, they did nothing so i was forced to rebuild my whole system from scratch again. :-(

On 6/28/2018 at 1:11 PM, cag014 said:

I think even now HC2 is still the best wireless HA product on the market.

You are probably right @cag014 and i sure hope they make their FW stable, more advanced and more sofisticated with user defined plugins, other integrations like zigbee stick, RF-stick, or whatsoever... etc, etc... :-D

• 1 year later...

I agree with @mradh, in my experience I have so far 4 HC2 and 1 HCL and 1 HC3 plus 2 defective HC2, and I am always having trouble with the Fibaro system starting from no connection with some devices that were working fine in certain time ending with bad behavior with the senses after each update.

HC3 just look nice and has been advertised with powerful functionality and powerful device, but after using the device for more than two month I feel it is just fake. I requested support from Fibaro since 29th of last March but still no support happen.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

2 hours ago, uaealk said:

HC3 just look nice and has been advertised with powerful functionality and powerful device, but after using the device for more than two month I feel it is just fake.

Sorry to hear you are not having a good experience. I have learnt that Fibaro put more into marketing and graphics than into functionality and performance. Fibaro products never seem to work as well as they look.

Personally, I am sticking with the HC2 and seeing what develops in the next 12 months, especially as Europe comes out of lock down towards the Summer, where pricing and availability may face significant adjustments. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 3:52 PM, PepsiMac said:

Together with Zigbee's acquisition of Z-Wave

What ?  .. tell me more

I feel that the HC3 was released too early. I know they work a lot on it, it will get better and someday it will be amazing. But I'm afraid that the time between release and where it is "good enough" for the general public, will maybe be too long - long enough so users will loose interest in it. I really like the HC2 and the HC3 as well. I've helped with the translations on the latter, and I use it as my daily controller.

I've always been met promptly by Fibaro support, it is a good team. The devs are working hard. My concern right now is the phone/tablet app. For me, my biggest annoyance is the inability to directly control Hue lights from within the app. With a button press I could turn on or off the light in the controllers UI, but the lights do not even show up in the app. Sure, I could make a simple scene or quick app to turn on or off the light - but that just adds code to the system and eats resources.

I've tested other smart home controllers, and I stand with Fibaro. Yes, I miss the features announced for the HC3, and I don't like that they are even more delayed, but so far Fibaro have the best products and support from those solutions I've tested.

Agree 100%.

Another huge disadvantage of HC3, there is no tablet application! I use tablet app for HC2 to monitor the home environment and my kids love it. For example before taking bath they always looking on water temperature.

By the way may I suggest to automate all your lights then you don't need to control it from app.

The whole idea is not to replace wall switch by cellular switch but to create auto-environment.

I do believe that everything could be automated. You might need to add few sensors, but it 100% possible.

Hi all,

I agree with most off you that a lot of things can be better. Especially more and better plug ins is something what I would really want. Just like the post above I don't understand why you would want to use the app, besides looking at the current temperature or humidity level. I almost never use it and the only scene's I use manual are controlled via Google Assistant or Widgets on my Android phone (yes, if I use an app I always use the old one :) ). Everything else works automatic or with the standard switches.

I am very happy with my HC2 and I have never needed the support from Fibaro so far. When my HC2 does something I don't want I usually mad a mistake with programming. The fact that the platform is open is a huge advantage. With only magic scene's and block scene's it is hard to mess thing up, but it is also more difficult to control everything exactly how you want it to behave.

• 2 months later...

I came here to open a similar thread! I wanted to know is it only me that feels scammed and frustrated by this Fibaro company and they crap devices and software.

Since day 1, the system never worked ok, never! I think I experienced all the issues possible, starting with issues in the HCL GUI, connectivity issues and timeout of the mobile application, scenes issues, device no connection issues, etc... It seems a never ending problem and they don't have an answer too... Initially I blamed it on the HCL, and the fact that I was cheap and didn't purchase a HC2, but it seems it's not that. 

I do not know if the GUI is the same for the HCL as for HC2/HC3, I don't even want to get started on the UI/UX but it's simply BAD.

I think it was designed and built by indian upwork freelancers paid 4$/h.

I wanted a ALL-in-ONE solution, smart home, automation and safety. 

My main use for the Fibaro system is for safety. Alarm + Fire + Water + Gas leaks.

It's completely UNRELIABLE! Alarm doesn't go off when it should, and sometimes it goes of when it shouldn't.

I had the system for 2 years and chose to deactivate it for 1 year because of the problems.

Scene to disarm the sensors randomly doesn't work and my employees kept complaining the alarm goes off.

I use it with other z-wave third-party accessories like Gas/Water valves and I simply do not feel safe using it due to their on-going problems.

I just enabled it back now and started regretting it.

Anyway, for home I started using Xiaomi Wi-Fi products without a gateway, and although they have a few small problems, it's reliable and it seems they are constantly working on improving and fixing the bugs. The problem is that they do not have all the products I require so my question is, does anyone worked with Zigbee products and gateways? Any recommandation? I want to switch but before I do I want to talk to people who tested other systems.

Edited by spreadzz

4 minutes ago, spreadzz said:

Xiaomi Wi-Fi products without a gateway

Xiaomi ecosystem can’t be live without gateway and clouds 

6 minutes ago, spreadzz said:

does anyone worked with Zigbee products and gateways? Is it ok, I want to switch but before I do I want to talk to people who tested other systems.

If you thinking what ZigBee can help you forgot a some not good moments with zwave - you wrong ;) just believe me ;) 

fot clearing understanding ZigBee like zwave just using another frequency

(yes it not correct but as common - right)

more than in our “closed boxes” with ZigBee topic yesterday we find what some “cool” companies with product with label ZigBee trying to lock own devices on own getaway and broke ZigBee standard 

so, buying zwave device you can fail if you bring device with wrong for you frequency for example if you living like me in EU but bought device with US FW 

with ZigBee you jus can bought Livolo switch or plug with nice ? appearance but this device can work only with Livolo GW only.

and examples with such situation for ZigBee more

alas

In another hand - sir, if you has a issues with zwave network if you has big zwave network just crying here what zwave or Fibaro is bad - not right way.

just searching by forum word zniffer also read COOL and BEST EVER article at this forum by @tinman about zniffer 

sorry, that’s just from my side as like «recommendations from the best dog breeders»

@10der most of the Xiaomi products work via Wi-Fi, so they do not need a gateway. But yes I do believe they store settings in cloud and I have no problem with that as long as they work.

They do however have products that require a gateway lile Aqara Hub or Mi Smart Home hub, both I believe work with Zigbee devices. (But I might be mistaken, I need to do more re-search)

They also have a great, simple and working UI/UX for the mobile app.

Also, I am not blaming Z-Wave for the problems. I am blaming Fibaro HC and devices. 

Maybe there are other gateways that are better? If so please recommend some to me.

I purchased Fibaro because of their design. Their products and website looked high-end and the best in their field when I re-searched about Z-Wave.

At this point I just want my set-up to work, I don't care if it's on z-wave or zigbee. So are you saying that in the whole smart home - automation field I can't find something to work for my scenario of using it for safety/alarm.

Edited by spreadzz

26 minutes ago, spreadzz said:

most of the Xiaomi products work via Wi-Fi

Wifi != ZigBee

27 minutes ago, spreadzz said:

I do believe they store settings in cloud and I have no problem

while you have connection to clouds

27 minutes ago, spreadzz said:

I am blaming Fibaro HC and devices.

I am also hate Fibaro :) but i am masochist ?

it's like i am living with wife what i hate :D

30 minutes ago, spreadzz said:

Maybe there are other gateways that are better?

no. alas. periodocaly some my kith asking yo setup some zwave controllers.... and all controller what i can see and setup - are very similar and has various props / cons.

33 minutes ago, spreadzz said:

I purchased Fibaro because of their design.

trying to purchased HC3 from FIBARO. it has MORE BEST design.

it lool like Tesla and can all like a Tesla. RF433-NICE/BT/ZWAVE/ZIGBEE/wunderwaffen

but now HC3 look like a (idk... ok lets it be) China Chery QQ, for example

43 minutes ago, spreadzz said:

At this point I just want my set-up to work, I don't care if it's on z-wave or zigbee. So are you saying that in the whole smart home - automation field I can't find something to work for my scenario of using it for safety/alarm.

HCL - a not good choice as for me for you. that's like russian car :) 

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

@spreadzz Have a look at knx

Edited by akatar

• 4 weeks later...

I am continuously evaluating alternatives, and haven't found one that is better at what it does, enough to make me change, but some are getting closer. Most of those however, have worse or non existant support, and are basically kickstarters that may or may not develop further into viable contenders, indeed a couple haven't even responded to a sales enquiry. Personally I don't think it is too much to ask of a HA system in 2018 to self repair to some extent, work flawlessly without an internet connection, have a dedicated app that doesn't drain a phone battery, utilises geo positioning well, allows localised full system backups on your media of choice, is fully configurable within the app ( for example ; I'd like my elderly mother inlaw to have lights and shutters and whatever scene only on the opening screen, not have to navigate ), is integrated with google home or alexa or siri or whatever else you throw at it, and above all else is reliable.

Regards,

Edited by deolsunny533
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm continuously follow many other forums (Vera, Homeseer, Zipato) and they have a lot bigger issues with implementation.

Regards,

Edited by sainivedant41

37 minutes ago, sainivedant41 said:

have a lot bigger issues with implementation.

what implementation is are you talking about

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sainivedant41 said:

I'm continuously follow many other forums (Vera, Homeseer, Zipato) and they have a lot bigger issues with implementation.

I am a homeseer user, please tell what are the problems? perhaps i have problems that i don't know about yet

• 9 months later...