Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Best method to control scenes on and off rather than just "start"

sarf77

Question

Hi all,

What is the best method to control scenes on and off rather than just "start" . Currently in using switch inputs for this but I'd assume we can create a virtual switch that would appear on the ipad gui and can integrate with Alexa etc??

I need this for both HCL and HC2..

Thanks

6 answers to this question

Didn't understand exactly what you need...

Could you please elaborate what exactly you need?

• Inquirer
  • 10 hours ago, cag014 said:

Didn't understand exactly what you need...

Could you please elaborate what exactly you need?

So for example I have a scene that runs my kitchen area where it’s time based and light level based and is triggered by a sensor. Ie: walk into the kitchen between 5-7pm and so long as the light level is below 150 lux the downlights turn on. After the sensor seeing no movement for 20 minutes the lights turn off. Between 11pm-7am the same lights only come into 4% and turn off after 3 minutes if sensor is safe. 

On occasion Im up doing things in the kitchen after 11 and it would be nice to turn that scene off easily via app of Alexa and just have the lights on until I’m finished working. 

I have some other scenes triggered with a relay contact that not physically used but it seems such a waste and expensive. 

I need a “virtual” on off switch if you will do I can switch a scene on or off easily from anywhere without using a laptop/browser. 

Im sure it’s doable with HC2 and LUA but the HCL has me stumped. 

As I said it's doable by both HC2 and HCL using virtual device.

One more question - do you need to use Alexa only?

• Inquirer
  • Alexa only?? as opposed to Google Home or what do you mean?

You can achieve this (at least on the HC2) with a global Variable. This you can set to on/off for example by a virtual device or a scene (also by Alexa). In your motion scene just retrieve the variable and exit the scene if it is set to off.

I have realised the “override” a bit differently (I have the same setup of motion triggered lights and intensity depending on the time). If I want the lights to stay on, I simply go to the switch and dim the lights a bit so the value changes. The scene checks if the light still has the same value as set by the scene. If not, exit and the lights stay on...

3 hours ago, Smarterelec said:

Alexa only?? as opposed to Google Home or what do you mean?

Fibaro application for example

3 hours ago, dcspock said:

You can achieve this (at least on the HC2) with a global Variable. This you can set to on/off for example by a virtual device or a scene (also by Alexa). In your motion scene just retrieve the variable and exit the scene if it is set to off.

I have realised the “override” a bit differently (I have the same setup of motion triggered lights and intensity depending on the time). If I want the lights to stay on, I simply go to the switch and dim the lights a bit so the value changes. The scene checks if the light still has the same value as set by the scene. If not, exit and the lights stay on...

Your solution good, but in case you really want to change the dimming level it will turn lights on.

Edited by cag014