Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HCL recovery mode not starting

Jaro.S

Question

Hi. I'm not able to invoke recovery mode. When power cycle with + depressed= Unit starts blinking from sides to center and back= but it's an endless loop.

When I power cycle again without += it starts normally with my old/current version 4.160. Any advice please? (also probably due to this it's not possible to update to other version) Thanks.

13 answers to this question

On 7/8/2018 at 9:47 PM, Jaro.S said:

Hi. I'm not able to invoke recovery mode

Hi, i would try the Custom Recovery in your case. 

90% the problem is dead flash (recovery kernel or rootfs partition)

This thread explains how to flash rootfs, same way you can flash the kernel. Then try to boot.

• Like 1

Please download the Patch file.Search the forum, you will find the link to download the patch, Choose the second option by uploading the file from local computer and run..it should work. Thank you!

Make Sure you are logged in your super user account when you are doing this

• Inquirer
  • 19 hours ago, Xfinite said:

Please download the Patch file.Search the forum, you will find the link to download the patch, Choose the second option by uploading the file from local computer and run..it should work. Thank you!

Make Sure you are logged in your super user account when you are doing this

Thanks for answer buddy. However I wasn't lucky in finding patch file you're referring to. Could you be please more specific what to look for?

31 minutes ago, Jaro.S said:

Thanks for answer buddy. However I wasn't lucky in finding patch file you're referring to. Could you be please more specific what to look for?

• Inquirer
  • 34 minutes ago, NunoMartins said:

Thank you very much. This seems to be different problem. Mine is that recovery mode can't be started. As I see it automatic update from 'web-style fibaro environment' and update from file are same = both go through recovery mode (even it's not visible for user in first case). And I'm not able to successfully start recovery mode. When I do procedure of manually starting recovery= diodes start blinking from edge to center and back. However this signaling doesn't eventually stop. And if I try to connect via typing ip address= no success (I also tried variant with fixed ip where address should be 192.168.81.1).

All I can do is to unplug power and plug-in again and it starts with version I updated to before this problem occurred (in my case 4.160)...

• Inquirer
  • On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, NunoMartins said:

Sorry my mistake!!

best thing to do is open support ticket 

Thank you, you are being helpful. I'll try opening support ticket. Is it being done via their (Fibaro) web page?

On 1/7/2019 at 6:21 PM, Jaro.S said:

Thank you, you are being helpful. I'll try opening support ticket. Is it being done via their (Fibaro) web page?

Did they solve your issue? i got the same problem

Edited by Stingone

I struggled to get mine into recovery mode with the instructions on the web and spent too long without success until I came across this and it WORKED!!!

https://en.robbshop.nl/fibaro-home-center-2-lite-reset

When you encounter problems with your Fibaro Home Center 2 or Fibaro Home Center Lite, you can follow our step by step reset procedure (factory-reset).

1. If possible always create a backup first. (good practise to do this regularly)
     2. Turn your Home Center off and connect it directly to your computer via a Network cable (so not to your router, but directly to your Computer).
     3. Now go to your computers Network Configurtion and set your connection as displayed (Manual IP). It might be needed to disconnect your WiFi

Fibaro Home Center 2 / Lite reset 4. Now start your Home Center with the + button depressed. 
         HC2 -> The blue leds now go left->right (normally reversed)
         HCL -> Leds go right left right.
     5. Wait for the + and power on lights to be on. 
     6. Again press the + button for aprox 3 seconds, This will result in the LAN light to first blink and then remain on.
     7. On your computer you can now browse to http://192.168.81.1 (Preference with Google Chrome or Firefox)
     8. You will now see the recovery menu of your Home Center including a Factory reset.
     9. After completion login to the controller (still connected directly and set it for DHCP network. After clicking save put the controller back on your router.
    10. Now you can upgrade again to the latest firmware.
    11. And after these updates you can recover your backup.
    12. The reset of your HC2 /HCL is now completed. It is possible that some modules need to be reset. Click here for exclusion instructions.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_05/IP-instellingen-HC2-recovery.png.f6e4694b8a00983d02d889e40bcf1037.png" />

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 2:06 PM, jack.daniels said:

This thread explains how to flash rootfs, same way you can flash the kernel. Then try to boot.

Thanks man! I originally kind of didn't want to do this, as it seemed complicated to me. But today finally I folowed your explanation and it worked perfectly. After reboot in recovery it straight started update to version 4.170. Then suggested 3.530 and finally was able to update to 4.600. Thanks again!

On 7/24/2020 at 3:06 PM, jack.daniels said:

Hi, can anyone helps me?

My HCL didnt boot. After XY it boots and wors, but after power off all begins again...

How can I flash kernel an bootloader?

Thanks.

Edited by MikeShi

I have the same problem, it is not possible to get the HCL v4.170 in recovery mode. Not possible to do the HCL Custom Recovery from jack.daniels, due that it is not possible to login with the account root.  

The reason to want to use recovery mode is, because software upgrade in the GUI doesn't work, so want using the recovery mode to update. 

Summary of issue of HCL v4.170:

• time (manual & download from the internet) after a while the time is lagging behind
    • z-wave network, after a while, some devices can't be operate. Restart of the HCL doesn't solve this.  
    • not possible to update the software. It start with the update, but after the restart to activate the new version it get stuck and the old versions get active. 

How to solve the update issue?