Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Double Relay Switch Stuck on "ON"

Scorpiozz

Question

I recently installed a fibaro system controlling the lights in my house, all the relays are working fine except 3 channels on 3 different relays that are stuck on “on” and the lights are always on, can’t be operated from the manual switch either, the relays are carrying a light load of around 4 LED lamps, i tried switching the channels and the problem is still there, when i test the live load on the Q2 terminal it has power even though the switch is closed, unlike when i test “Q1” which has no power when the switch is closed. And when i install the lamp wires to the switch without the relay, everything works perfectly.

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Scorpiozz said:

the relays are carrying a light load of around 4 LED lamps,

Your relays are broken (welded togehter)

LEDs are not allowed according to the manual with relays, only resistive loads and tungsten lights..

Say what you will about that (i think this really limits the usage of relays, you cant even control contractors with them as the load is inductive), so if you want to use relays then you have to go with a different brand..

If you want to use Fibaro then use Fibaro dimmers V2 with LEDs, even if you don't use dimmable lights and set the load as "Not dimmable"

Edited by speedy

• Inquirer
  • when you say LEDs are not allowed, is that all LED lamps (spot lights, stairs light....etc) or just LED strips?

thank you in advance 

1 hour ago, Scorpiozz said:

when you say LEDs are not allowed, is that all LED lamps (spot lights, stairs light....etc) or just LED strips?

thank you in advance 

You are not allowed to use any LED light at all, no matter what type...

Only resistive loads are allowed, (regular lightbulbs, radiators that doesent have digital thermostats etc)

Thats it! So its very limited in its usage. 

Anything with transformers, electronics, inductive loads (motors, sprinkled actuators, relays, contractors, blinds, garage door, chargers) you can not use (or is not allowed) according to the manual.

Now, you can use it, but its not designed for it and sometimes they break (as you have seen) and sometimes they work (as you also have seen) its a lottery.

Edited by speedy

Depending on load, and if you want to be sure not to have this problem again, you have these options:

1. Use dimmer instead in non dimming mode. (for smaller loads)

2. Use additional "stronger" relay that will be controlled by Fibaro switch and will close/open circuit to the LEDs (need some place to install it)

17 hours ago, Igy said:

2. Use additional "stronger" relay that will be controlled by Fibaro switch and will close/open circuit to the LEDs (need some place to install it)

This is not allowed according to the manual. It is not a resistive load.

Now, you can use this solution, it will work but depending on relay or situation the Fibaro relay might break as its not designd for it.

@speedy, Fibaro and I had an interesting debate regarding the specifications in the FGS manual(s) in this topic:

Long story short... As speedy points out the FGS-213 and older are only rated for "purely resistive loads" which even rules out the use of another relay with bigger contacts.

In practice, the FGS will drive certain non-resistive loads in a reliable way (like a 5 Watt relay coil or a 5W LED bulb). But strictly speaking the spec does not allow it! So if it does not work, you cannot claim it was a compatible load. We made some suggestions, to improve the data-sheet so it would be clear what is still allowed. But it is very difficult.

And as @Scorpiozz has found out, driving capacitive loads (see 

Please login or register to see this link.

) still leads to welded contacts. Even when the power rating of the lamp (adapter) is only 20 W...

BTW there are several topics about driving "difficult" loads...

Mind you, the FDG-212 is rated for LED loads. But it is well protected and may refuse to turn on a load which causes high inrush current. If your load welds the contacts of the FGS, this might be the case and you still have no solution to control your load.