Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

intercom super hot on 12V

Sirhideo

Question

Dear support

Official USA support does not have response, I would like to post here and seek for solution. When I use PoE for testing live stream, intercom is totally normal.  But when I switch to 12V DC, where it is the final installation spot, the silver ring is super super hot, I am saying I have to take away my hand from the ring almost immediately. The protective screen is taken out so the main part (ring and button) is totally exposed.

I am using a 12V 3A adapter.  I know intercom requires only 1A but I don't think this is causing the heat.  I have stopped every live stream (from my ipad, hc2 plugin, iphone) but the heat is still there, probably not because the intercom is busy.

Please help ASAP

Edited by Sirhideo

5 answers to this question

Hi @Sirhideo,

Can you measure how much hot it is? If i remember correctly temperatures while connected on my desk, that Heatsink was something about 47°C and aluminium ring should have something about 30 - 35°C. Exposed to sun it should be slightly higher.

• Inquirer
  • @jakub.jezek I can try to measure, but at this stage my description is that I have to take away my hand after like 2 seconds of touching the silver ring.  This must scare away my guest lol..  The intercom is not exposed to sun at all it is installed at corridor.

While u are saying 30-35°C on the ring, is the intercom doing live stream or just idle for call?  Where is the heatsink at so u get 47°C ?

@Sirhideo, Heatsink is in back of On-Wall part. See image spoiler below.

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

That 30-35°C on the ring is in actualy in both states. Although, i powered intercom by PoE. I had there 12V only briefly, but i do not remember which LED power supply it was (1,5A or 5A).

• Inquirer
  • @jakub.jezek A heat sink that is designed to be sitting inside wall huh, not sure how it work effectively.  I think you are right, without solid temperature figure it is hard to explain how hot my intercom is. Will try to get a thermometer tonight.

1 hour ago, Sirhideo said:

Will try to get a thermometer tonight.

Someone did it (be)for(e) you and in insulated wall and you can read all about it in the topic below!

This has been discussed in-depth with IR pictures numbers + official reply here + how the device protects itself against overheating:

EDIT: may I suggest to continue the discussion in the topic below? To avoid duplication of information?

Edited by petergebruers