Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How can I set a global variable through the app?

kauf5mx

Question

Hi all

I have a scenario that starts the heating at a given time. The time value is stored in a global variable and changes according to the weekday.

In exceptional days I would like to change the value of this global variable and have the heating start at another time.

I am searching for an easy way to change the value of the global variable through my IPhone Fibaro app.

Does someone have a good tip on how to do this? Thanks.

7 answers to this question

@kauf5mx I think there is no way to edit variables in the smartphone app but you can launch the browser and open fibaro throught there(it might be difficult to use the fibaro interface because it was designed for desktop use but it works).

Maybe create a manual scene and make it visible in the app... In the scene you at least need...

--[[
%% properties
%% events
%% globals
--]]

fibaro:setGlobal(GLOBAL_VAR_NAME,  VALUE_TO_WRITE)

I have several like this... But with a little more lua in them... :) 

Edited by pos

• Inquirer
  • Dear all,

Thank you for your help. Here my comments:

@Stiven: yes, I could use the interface, but this is not handy enough.

@pos: Absolutely right. I was trying writing a scenario but this brings me perhaps on the main question: How to write a scenario that I can run on my IPhone and where I can display and enter values. From there I manage to assign the value to the global variable.

@3JL: The term VD is not in vocabulary; could you be more precise, please? How would that work?

A VD is a virtual device. You can make your own buttons and assign commands such as changing global variable to x. In the app and web interface, the VD will appear next to all other devices.

Unfortunately I do not have a ready solution for you. I think searching the forum a bit will help. This is the more technical description: 

Please login or register to see this link.

@kauf5mxmaybe

Please login or register to see this link.

is what you are looking for? A nice VD to control the most important globals. You have to modify to your own fittings.

• Inquirer
  • Dear 3JL, dear AndyY,

Yes, I guess that I am coming closer to what I am searching. UNfortunately we have guests this weekend and I will not be able to try it out, but at a first glance, your two leads seem allowing me to get started with such VDs.

I let you know, but it will take me some days...!

Thank you all and have a good weekend :D