Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Best way to remove and reinstall the heat controllers

Den James

Question

I've been having troubles with my HCL and now downgraded to 4.160. But now I see my heat controllers are all messed up.

The winter is getting closer and I would like to remove the heat controllers and start from zero. But when I trie to remove them, they seem to come back. I also see unknown device that are not configured. They look like they are together with the heat controllers.

What is the best way to remove everything that has to do with the heat controllers?

When that is done and I reinstall them, how many devices should show per controller? I seem to get more then one.

Thanks,

James

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Den James said:

've been having troubles with my HCL and now downgraded to 4.160. But now I see my heat controllers are all messed up.

Yes, well, that downgrade is indeed the problem.

4.160 does not have a template for your FGT firmware version...

It is a good thing, you post this question here, because there is probably no way to find out what happened in any other way. To you, it just looks like "something gone terribly wrong". But that is not the case.

When 4.3 was released, Fibaro said: "If you are running HC FW older than 1.462 (beta) do not perform remove/reset/include after update TRV's FW. " - but it would not be easy to find this information now. I remember when this was posted, a few users got the same problem.

Now we know the cause... But it is difficult for me to give you good advice. Please forgive me, I have to brainstorm a bit!

- I think if you exclude and include them, they will not look like you remember them. I think they will be usable though, because it has a slave device to set the temperature, correct?

- I think you won't get the offer to update them to 4.4 - I am not sure. I think you need  more recent HCL firmware. But you don't want to update the HCL because you downgraded to 4.160 for a reason. Correct?

- You don't want to upgrade to 4.180 because you had issues? That version would have better support for the FGT.

- HCL upgrade to 4.5XX is something I do not recommend right now. I am running 4.510 on my HC2 and it is pretty good. It is the way to go. But afaik Fibaro identified issues during upgrade and issues on HCL specifically, they are already working on an update.

To summarize, If you can control them (although they do not look like "FGTs" anymore, they do not have a round shape but a rectangular one)  I would wait until a new 4.5XX stable for HCL gets released. Then do "soft reconfigure" if they still look not OK.

I think it is mainly a template issue, something you cannot fix yourself. But maybe Fibaro support can do that!

• Like 1

@Den James , the 4.160 was a stable release fixing a bunch of issues, but it may not be compatible with 4.3 firmware on FGT-001. I advise you to update to 4.170, you should see this version in your Configuration Tab.

But firstly, try to remove (force remove) the Heat Controllers - observe the box at the top of the page, it should say that "ID has been successfully removed". Then, do a factory reset of the FGTs.

Update the gateway, add FGTs and see if there is any improvement.

Should you still experience issues, please contact our Support as it may seem that the support engineer help will be necessary.

• Inquirer
  • 6 minutes ago, T.Konopka said:

@Den James , the 4.160 was a stable release fixing a bunch of issues, but it may not be compatible with 4.3 firmware on FGT-001. I advise you to update to 4.170, you should see this version in your Configuration Tab.

But firstly, try to remove (force remove) the Heat Controllers - observe the box at the top of the page, it should say that "ID has been successfully removed". Then, do a factory reset of the FGTs.

Update the gateway, add FGTs and see if there is any improvement.

Should you still experience issues, please contact our Support as it may seem that the support engineer help will be necessary.

I could update to 4.170, but in this version my HCL kept getting stuck. I had to reset every day or two.

So I have to decide what I want. A stable HCL or the latest firmware and good working heat controllers.

I'm not really sure what I want.

James

@Den James , honestly, I advise you to contact our Support. I am sure that your gateway will be updated properly to 4.170 and you will be able to use FGTs without an issue.

PS Do not quote full replies, it's not necessary. Quote if you want to address a specific fragment. If you simply reply to a previous post then there's no need to quote at all ;) This way the conversations are clearer for everyone.

• Inquirer
  • 7 minutes ago, Den James said:

I could update to 4.170, but in this version my HCL kept getting stuck. I had to reset every day or two.

So I have to decide what I want. A stable HCL or the latest firmware and good working heat controllers.

I'm not really sure what I want.

James

I'm giving the 4.170 a chance. I removed a bunch of scenes and the heat controllers. Maybe it will work fine now.

I'll keep you informed.

James

Good luck! I'm very much interested if you can then update your FGTs to firmware 4.4 (this update is highly recommended!).

• Inquirer
  • So far so good. The HCL is updated to the 4.170 version. And it hasn't hung for two days. The 5 heat controllers are installed and all updated to 4.4. This all worked perfect.

It's difficult to test the heat controllers now because the heating isn't on yet. But the basics all seem to work.

That is good news. Thank you for reporting back! I bet you have noticed with 4.4 the FGT is quieter, and the motor spins less often...

• Like 1