Guides for the Forum Read more... ×
Poradniki na Forum Read more... ×
Anssi

HC2 maximum number of devices

Question

Hi all,

A simple question but to which I haven't been able to find an answer. What is the real maximum number of physical devices the HC2 can support?

The documentation states 230 "devices", but does that include the number of slave devices too? I'm a bit worried since I'm at the beginning of building my setup and based on backup file information I already have 110 devices. The number of physical modules is just 32.

So, is the 230 the number physical modules or master & their slave devices?

Thanks,

Anssi

4 answers to this question

It is "physical" so you have now used 32 out of 230. If you upgrade your HC to 4.5XX firmware, the backup will only show physical devices. This is not an error, Fibaro changed the way they count devices during backup.

But...

My Z-Wave rules of thumb: less than 5 modules, sometimes issues because not enough devices to cover all areas. Between 5 and 20...almost never issues. Between 20 and 50... sometimes trouble. Between 50 and 100 devices real "weirdness" starts and communication gets "fragile". Above 100 make sure you have the tools to diagnose network issues (for example, Z-Sniffer, you can make one yourself - EDIT: you need a lot of background to understand it) or get in touch with a good certified installer to support you (I am and end user, not an installer). Know about CPU and memory usage. Follow this forum.

@Anssi about 230 real devices, no matter how many slave devices there are.

• Inquirer
  • On 9/9/2018 at 12:13 PM, petergebruers said:

It is "physical" so you have now used 32 out of 230. If you upgrade your HC to 4.5XX firmware, the backup will only show physical devices. This is not an error, Fibaro changed the way they count devices during backup.

But...

My Z-Wave rules of thumb: less than 5 modules, sometimes issues because not enough devices to cover all areas. Between 5 and 20...almost never issues. Between 20 and 50... sometimes trouble. Between 50 and 100 devices real "weirdness" starts and communication gets "fragile". Above 100 make sure you have the tools to diagnose network issues (for example, Z-Sniffer, you can make one yourself - EDIT: you need a lot of background to understand it) or get in touch with a good certified installer to support you (I am and end user, not an installer). Know about CPU and memory usage. Follow this forum.

Thanks for the clarification and insight! It would be interesting to know if the problems with large setups arise from the Z-wave system design itself or is it badly designed devices. I'm sure many will also unneccessarily overload their network and controllers with bad LUA scenes etc. But that's another discussion..

Edited by Anssi
    typo

Sorry for the delay. Short answer: "all of the above" apply but that is not surprising because everything you mention is somewhat related.

Long answer: well... We'll talk about that when you need it. I would say... Don't panic, just keep my rules of thumb in mind. I have been helping quite a few users via Private Messages (I think about 20 in total over the years), and I cannot help everyone, but I have had some success as well. But understanding Z-Wave is "not very fast" and keeping traffic really low really helps. Also, Buy Z-Wave Plus devices if you can (not the older ones) because of, well, several reasons...