Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Modules communication problem with HC2

Jibran

Question

Hello,

I have connected new Home center 2 in my friend's apartment. It seems that Hc2 is really struggling with signals here . 

There are total 3 modules (for now ) . 

1. One dimmer in bedroom in which homecenter 2 is placed .

2. One relay switch is in steam area just beside wardrobe

3. Another dimmer 2 is connected in other room which is very very near to the steam area. 

The one in the steam area and other room are really struggling with the signals. At one time they started to work like nothing happen . Other time they completely stop working giving communication problem .

Solutions that i have done to overcome that issue.

1. Tried to connect another dimmer module in the wardrobe area so that steam area can work properly but failed. Even wardrobe area is not working properly. Its like hit and miss . 

2. Tries to reconfigure the mesh (z wave). But nothing happen. It didnt receive packets from the modules placed in the steam area(outside) and room near it . 

3. It is only working in the room where both are placed in a room ( hc2 & module).

For reference i have attached the photo of rough layout .  Please tell me what is going wrong here. 

Home center 2 firmware: 4.510v

I will upload videos very soon . 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Jibran

4 answers to this question

1) You might have a source of interference (some older wireless equipment might be using the same band).  Or maybe building materials absorb the RF a bit more than expected. Any large metal objects? Reinforced concrete?

2) Peter's Z-Wave rules of thumb:

"less than 5 modules, sometimes issues because not enough devices to cover all areas. Between 5 and 20...almost never issues. Between 20 and 50... sometimes trouble. Between 50 and 100 devices real "weirdness" starts and communication gets "fragile". Above 100 make sure you have the tools to diagnose network issues (ie sniffer, you can make one yourself) or get in touch with a good certified installer to support you (I am and end user, not an installer). Know about CPU and memory usage. Follow this forum. I have participated in many topics regarding "delays" and it is never easy..."

You are in: "less than 5 modules, sometimes issues because not enough devices to cover all areas.". Can you try to put the "master bed dimmer" in the "wardrobe"?

Try a different place for your modules and/or HC. For instance, Can you move the HC2 into the wardrobe, then try "mesh reconfigure"? Then move HC back into it original place.

NOTE: If the relays is a FGS-223 it is *possible* that it does not respond to "mesh reconfigure" on 4.510. This has been reported by a few users and the problem is not well understood.

3) Have a look at this picture. Click on the spoiler:

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

Watch out for "Apparent thickness".

• Inquirer
  • Well,  to check the issue of communication, i tried to connect a dimmer in a wardrobe area. 

The response was a bit slow in the wardrobe area . 2 to 3 secs delay . 

Even then i tried zwave mesh reconfiguration with dimmer attach to wardrobe . Still steam and room near it had a same signal issue. Means issue was still there 

Now currently HC is placed on a table with a HD receiver and transmitter device. There is a huawei router to which HC2 and other ethernet cables are connected . Other is for Hd content on a led. 

There is no connectivity in the wardrobe area . Even if i move hc from masterbed to wardrobe area, there is no router with internet there . But yes without internet i can manage to connect another router with that . Unless bridging is an option . 

Also i forget to mention that when i checked the hc today it was severly hot . It is already in an open area . But with no fan on or ac . 

Edited by Jibran

• Inquirer
  • I always use single relay . Double relay is not suitable for my area.  I have used so single relay 1 in steam area . 

13 minutes ago, Jibran said:

always use single relay . Double relay is not suitable for my area.  I have used so single relay 1 in steam area .

I am not sure if it applies to the FGS-213... The problem with FGS-223 was reported here.

I am sorry, I am not sure what you can try next.