Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How to firmware update

s710

Question

Hello,

I have 4 heat controllers which I bought back in february, and I would like to update the firmware on those. However, I am having neither a HC2 nor a HC lite, I am running a home assistant installation with a Z-Wave USB-Stick.

How can I do the firmware update? Do I have to buy a home center, or is there any other way? If I have to buy a HC, will a HC lite be sufficient, or do I have to buy the expensive one?

Thanks for your help.

10 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • FGT-001 ZW5 EU Z-Wave

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by s710

• Inquirer
  • 4 minutes ago, spazpeker said:

Maybe another German Forum Member could update them for you ?

Well that'd be a bit cumbersome, I'd like to do this myself, if possible. I Also have motion sensors where I'd also like to update the firmware, so it will be 8 devices in total.

Guest spazpeker

You can buy the HC Lite and use that

I am selling off all my stock on ebay at cost or below 

Please login or register to see this link.

so HC Lite £175

• Inquirer
  • Then maybe I'll go for the HC lite, if there is no other way. However I am going to order a new one, because I will have the option to send it back within 2 weeks, but thanks for your offer.

I just looked at the amazon page, and I am a bit shocked by the rather devestating reviews (

Please login or register to see this link.

). Has this gotten any better? I can barely see any positive or even neutral reviews, most if not all seem to indicate its a really bad product.

So will I even be able to use it to upgrade my firmwares?

Guest spazpeker

the ones i am selling a brand new unopened bought from Fibaro, so you can send back if faulty

not as good as the HC2 but ok, dont think it would be worth you getting a HC2

• Inquirer
  • One more question. My 8 devices are currently attached to my Z-Wave network hosted by home assistant / Z-Wave USB stick on the raspberry pi.

Do I have to exclude my 8 devices one-by-one from the existing network, attach to a new network hosted by the Home Center, firmware upgrade, then re-attach them to the other network? Or can I attach the Home Center itself to my current network to be able to firmware upgrade the devices?

On 9/28/2018 at 10:24 AM, s710 said:

One more question. My 8 devices are currently attached to my Z-Wave network hosted by home assistant / Z-Wave USB stick on the raspberry pi.

Do I have to exclude my 8 devices one-by-one from the existing network, attach to a new network hosted by the Home Center, firmware upgrade, then re-attach them to the other network? Or can I attach the Home Center itself to my current network to be able to firmware upgrade the devices?

S710, I really don't want to rain on your parade but in your situation I would not buy a HC but sell the heat controllers and buy an other brand because with the current firmware they are not working as expected , to say the least and nobody can or will tell you when an other new firmware will come that will make them work...

@wienog I loved your response to s710’s post.

Seems like I’m not the only one having lost faith in Fibaro’s software development team.  I don’t know whether it’s due to a lack of competency or personnel but it really is a problem that need fixing (each new firmware recently introduced brings a new plethora of bugs while hardly fixing the previous ones).

@s710 I suggest you follow wienog’s recommendation.  If you can’t or don’t want to, just stick to the firmware your devices are because there’s no guarantee they work better (if at all) after upgrading.

Cheers,

Henri

Note to self: check whether my ‘-1’ rating has improved or degraded in a few dayS.