Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Looking for a wall display enabling to permanently show outside temperature reported within HC2 environment

fibarouser

Question

Hi,

I am looking for a solution that would make it possible to display in the apartment the temperature outside (on a permanent basis, i.e. a wall display). The measurement of the  outside temperature is done via the DS18B20 sensor connected to a Fibaro Universal Binary Sensor - and reported within the Home Center 2 environment. Many thanks!

7 answers to this question

Perhaps this is what you are looking for?
A 10 "tablet with the ImperiHome app is sitting on the wall in my hall.
ImperiHome retrieves any data from Fibaro and many other systems.
It will be a nice and transparent information.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  • Many thanks for this! The solution looks perfect and makes it possible to display additional data in one place, plus helps control home devices. I already started thinking of nicely placing an old android tablet on the wall but I first set up an account and tested the service. So there is a one "but" with the ImperiHome service: to have a meaninful frame/interface one has to purchase the premium option. I would not mind paying a one-off charge to purchase an additional frame (even if the price is higher) but have a directional issue with paying a monthly subscription. As much as the fee of a few dollars per month seems nominal, I just do not like a recurring fee.

For now, I might look for a spare smartphone and stick with one frame just to show the outside temperature as originally intended. Fibaro suggested just to use their app and display the temperature on a smartphone but the display is of a smalller size and there seems no way to zoom in, at least on their Iphone app.

Perhaps there are alternative providers to ImperiHome?

In the end, I still think that Fibaro or a third party manufacturer would benefit from creating a simple Andruino-like LCD that would communicate directly (emphasis added) with the system. One could hang it in a desired room (where there are temperature or other sensors) and presumably the cost of this solution would be less than arranging for a tablet or a phone. Plus, giving login credentials to a third party provider (ImperiHome) and channelling all this through the internet by default creates additional security risk (envisioning someone mallitiously open up my roof windows during the rain; people also have security systems, in-home cameras and the like).

Thank you for sharing the solution in any event.

Hi fibarouser,

I have chosen for: Home Remote - 

Please login or register to see this link.

It is free.

There is A LOT you can do with it and there are A LOT of plugins and one of them is Fibaro.

For Fibaro there are only scenes and devices available but via HttpClient calls you can also get the GlabalVariables.

I just finished my setup:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_09/image.png.f532173955d5b4bd9142f46034f3649c.png" alt="image.png.f532173955d5b4bd9142f46034f3649c.png" />

Cheers.

• Inquirer
  • Hi FJW,

The screen also looks very classy and the free of charge offering goes without saying. I will definitely give it a try. Is there any downside of using http calls? Will I need to write any scripts and if so, will it be a challenge for tech-savvy newbie? Apologies for these questions but I did not have time yet to do some background reading on this.

As a side note, interesting to see that there are so few players on the market oferring a comprehensive screen display of home automation devices. This is such a nice add-on to smartphone/computer navigation. Also, one would think that Fibaro will offer something along these lines. Their customer support suggested to install their app on a designated tablet/smartphone but it does not seem that you can do as much graphically with that (plus it looks like it would offer less versitality from the integration perspective).

As a starting point, I have my old android phone set up already and showing the outside temp via the Fibaro app :-). The next project is to get an aluminium frame welded and powder coated - mainly for the tablet but might also do the phone one. Always taking a difficult way :-) but holders available on the market are just not suited for nicely hanging the devices on the wall.

Cheers,

On 9/29/2018 at 2:36 PM, RH_Dreambox said:

Perhaps this is what you are looking for?
    A 10 "tablet with the ImperiHome app is sitting on the wall in my hall.
    ImperiHome retrieves any data from Fibaro and many other systems.
    It will be a nice and transparent information.

Looks great.. what tablet did you buy?? And is it wall mounted?? What mount did you go for?? What I am looking for is a way to have my CCTV app running on the Tablet but only switch the tablet on when the motion is detected in the hallway or outside the house. I have a Fibaro Motion sensor in the hallway and also have PIR sensors wired which are connected to Fibaro Modules so they trigger a breach.. if the tablet takes too long to switch on, then I don't mind it dimming the screen to really low setting and just change the setting to full brightness when the sensor is breached.. then it can go back after a min to dim state again...

I bought a cheap Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2016) WiFi 32GB (less than 200 €).
    There are wall brackets to buy but I made my own bracket with three fastening points.

On 11/29/2018 at 4:15 PM, RH_Dreambox said:

I bought a cheap Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2016) WiFi 32GB (less than 200 €).
    There are wall brackets to buy but I made my own bracket with three fastening points.

Just to follow up on this.. I have borrowed a friends Samsung Tablet and installed Automate for Android.. In there, I have created a flow that allows me to turn the brightness of screen to 100% and then open the CCTV app, and keep it running for 2 mins and then dim the screen to 1%... my only issue is, how do I send a command from Fibaro to the Tablet...