Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Firmware upgrade fails every time

kln66

Question

I have a FGT-001 running firmware version 4.0

I have also bought a Home Center Lite, specificallly to be able to upgrade the firmware of the FGT.

I have now tried 5 times to upgrade the firmware to version 4.4, and it fails every time. This is what happens:

[19:12:56] ID 6: OK. The device will initiate the firmware update of the target specified in the meta data.
[20:20:54] ID 6: New image was successfully stored in temporary non-volatile memory. The device will now start storing the new image in primary non-volatile memory dedicated to executable code. Then the device will restart itself.
[20:22:37] ID 6: OK. The device will initiate the firmware update of the target specified in the meta data.
[21:07:42] ID 6: The device was unable to receive the requested firmware data.

Also notice that the whole process takes extremely long time. I believe the update process is supposed to take around 30 minutes, but in my case it is almost 2 hours. And it takes exactly the same time each time I try.

I contacted Fibaro support, and they suggested moving the HCL really close to the FGT. So the last time I tried, the antenna of the HCL was only 1 cm from the FGT, but that made no difference.

Fibaro support suggested I send the FGT to them, but sending it to Poland will cost me around half of the price of the FGT itself, and require a lot of paperwork for customs, so that is not an option.

Has anyone here experienced anything similar - and found a solution?

6 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • On the first two attempts, the distance was around 5 meters (and through two walls)

On the third attempt the distance was 1,5 meter (and line of sight)

On the fourth attempt the distance was 20cm, and on the fifth attempt the distance was 1cm

The timing and behaviour was exactly the same in all five attempts, so I don't think this is related to the distance.

@kln66 My Fibaro dealer strongly recommended to have a non-battery device in the Z-Wave Network for Firmware upgrades - even when upgrading near distance devices (they act as repeaters). So, I added a Wall Plug and noticed smoothly upgrades unless I added any kind of Z-Wave, internet or network traffic during the process. I suppose that the upgrade process is extremely latency sensitive.

Edit: with this setup I can easily upgrade devices with more than 10 meters distance like a charm.

Edited by 3rdNerd

• Inquirer
  • Actually, the Heat controller seems to work fairly well on firmware v4.0, so I'm a bit reluctant to do any more attempts on upgrading ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ;)). Maybe when v4.5 comes, I'll consider making another attempt (I've ordered two Telldus Plug-in switches, which will work as repeaters).

For the same reason, I'm reluctant to upgrade my HCL from 4.170 to 4.520. It works fine on 4.170, and I'm afraid something will break if I try to upgrade.

I was able to update the firmware of my 3 heat controllers by excluding them from the HC2 and add them back un-ticking the checkbox "Add in security mode if device supports it". Once the firmware was updated I added them again using the secure mode. Distance is not affecting the update (mine was on the second floor and it worked like a charm)