Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Benefit 2 vs 3 way

Gunske

Question

Since I can choose how to wire them,

I just was wondering what's the technical benefit/difference 2 vs 3-way.

(N+Sx vs N direct.)

Think it's just the same? 

2 answers to this question

Functionality wise I believe they will operate the same.  However, for the 2-wire, the unit is powered through a trickle current passed around the circuit - ie. this means that any attached lamp is always on, but very, very dim as it's a low current.  I think this can become an issue if the attached light/load is low (e.g. LED lights) as it can cause flickering.  To solve the flicker issue, you have to wire the Fibaro bypass module across the lamp.

My wiring is all 2-wire, but I would have thought 3-wire would be the best option if you are able to do so.  Also, I expect 3-wire makes it easier for any lamp you wish to control from multiple physical switches.

• Inquirer
  • Tested both wirings already, and can't see any "sleep current". And for led flickering, I needed to use the bypass, but since I'm using the new batch dimmer 2's, I got zero problems. Using the bypass on them, even cause the flickering :-D

Edit;

Found it by accident :-D

Please login or register to see this link.

It's in Dutch, the guy did a test about the bypass current. Anyway, one of the side answers at the bottom, gave me the answer (I think) 

2 way; as siddler said, dimmer pulls current trough the lamp. But if you use leds, u need to use the bypass for the "pull current through the lamp", since the led can't let it pass smoothly. 

3 way; dimmer has his own source in a led setup

So all in all, 3 way should be more stable :-)

Edited by Gunske