Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

UBS - Input type question

Tozz

Question

I am using a couple of UBS sensors for a variety of applications. For example I have one connected to a twilight switch and a RAD-MOD (radar sensor, somewhat like a PIR, but much more sensitive). I am having issues with both of these, which seem to originate in the UBS.

I was reading the manual and suspect I need to change parameter 3 and 4, but I dont understand the differences. Parameter 3 and 4 valid options are:

0 Normally Closed

1 Normally Open

2 Monostable

3 Bistable

It is not clear to me what the difference is in how UBS handles these settings:

I understand Normally Open and Normally closed (NC is opposite of NO).

- A NO contact is low when the input is open, and high when the input is closed.

- A NC contact is low when the input is closed, and high when the input is open.

But then comes monostable and bistable. I learned from Google that a monostable relay is a relay that goes back to the start position when the current to the coil is removed.This sounds to me like a regular NO/NC contact.

Bistable is a relay that stays in its position, after the current to the coil is removed. This also sounds like a regular NO/NC contact to me.

Can someone explain what the UBS does differently when I change parameter 3 / 4?

4 answers to this question

@Tozz My understanding is thiis. The NO and NC settings lets you change  how UBS reacts. ie  A alarm system may give a closed circuit to indicate its armed or it may give a open circuit to indicate this. I have used this to change indication of alarm condition rather then changing  alarm settings Where as the monostable/bistable setting is if you are monitering a pushbutton or a toggle switch.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks, but it's not really clear to me yet.

You say, an alarm system may give a close circuit to indicate it's armed, or an open circuit. I understand that. Lets say Alarm system A is NO and closed with armed, alarm system B is NC and open when armed. Now I get that you might want to change parameter 3/4 into value 1 or 0, depending on the system.

But when would you need value 3 (monostable) or 4 (bistable)? Lets take your example of a toggle switch.

If I would connect a toggle switch to UBS, and parameter 3/4 is set to 1 (NO):

- if i toggle the switch to on position, input 1 becomes closed and an alarm is triggered

- if I toggle the switch again to off position, input 1 becomes open and the alarm is cleared.

Now, lets say I set parameter 3/4 to "toggle switch". From what I understand from it, nothing really changes:

- if i toggle the switch to on position, input 1 becomes closed and an alarm is triggered

- if I toggle the switch again to off position, input 1 becomes open and the alarm is cleared.

Same for a pushbutton (momentary switch):

- If I press the switch, input 1 becomes closed and opens as soon as I release the button. The UBS will trigger an alarm and that alarm will clear when I release the button.

If seems to me that whatever the value of parameter 3 or 4, all the UBS does is:

- Send an alarm when the input is closed (unless set to NC, then its the opposite)

- Clear the alarm when the input is opened (unless set to no, then its the opposite0

What am i missing?