Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How use devices when controller dies/get stolen

FrankT

I have a question, maybe someone could answer. What happens when/if my HC2 burns/get stolen or simply dies as most electronic equippment can do? All my sensors, actors and other Z-wave devices have been include in the now missing hub. 
To use those devices with a new hub (HC2, RPi running HomeAssistant) I have to exclude all devices from the first hub, right? Or is it possible to reset those devices manually? @petergebruers wrote in a post 'I always tell people with bigger networks (say starting at 50 physical nodes) to install a 2nd controller "to put things in perspective". For many years, my 2nd smaller system was "Z-Way on a RaZberry" and this summer I switched to Home Assistant.' But this does not solve my question, even the 2nd controller could simly die.
Or do I see a problem which does not excist.

19 minutes ago, FrankT said:

But this does not solve my question

Indeed, it does not answer that question but it does make me happy that you read that and it made you start wondering about "what happens if..."

20 minutes ago, FrankT said:

Or do I see a problem which does not excist.

The problem is real and having your main controller die is bad, but it is not as bad as it sounds when it comes to "excluding".

This may sound weird, but "any controller can exclude any device at any time".

Your controller dies and you buy a new one. On the new one, go to "delete device" or "exclude". Then on each device, perform the right amount of clicks to exclude it.

For example, FGS-223:

Please login or register to see this code.

It is still a lot of work, but at least it is possible. IMHO it is also faster than performing a hard reset of a device, because that usually involves a more complex procedure.

After having excluded all devices, you can start including them on your new controller.

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, petergebruers said:

Indeed, it does not answer that question but it does make me happy that you read that and it made you start wondering about "what happens if..."

The problem is real and having your main controller die is bad, but it is not as bad as it sounds when it comes to "excluding".

This may sound weird, but "any controller can exclude any device at any time".

Your controller dies and you buy a new one. On the new one, go to "delete device" or "exclude". Then on each device, perform the right amount of clicks to exclude it.

For example, FGS-223:

Please login or register to see this code.

It is still a lot of work, but at least it is possible. IMHO it is also faster than performing a hard reset of a device, because that usually involves a more complex procedure.

After having excluded all devices, you can start including them on your new controller.

Thank you for answering my question by explaining how I could perform a switch to a new controller. BTW - I read most of your post, there is always a lot of information and it stimulates the brain. Thanks!