Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer on 2 different circuits, no Sx

PredatorX

Question

I have been wiring up my Dimmer in a probably non-standard way :)

• I did not connect Sx
  • L is connected to L of circuit 1
  • S1 is conneted (via cross connection) to L of circuit 2
  • I do have N connected

My problem now is, that this solution worked just fine for some days. Afterwards, the switch input stopped working. I still could control everything via radio.

I switched from S1 to S2 then, and again it worked for some days. Now, S2 is also dead but I'm still able to remote control the dimmer.

I didn't try to move back over to S1 again yet.

I'm guessing there is some subtle electrical reason for that which I fail to grasp...

Can anyone give me a hint what is happening?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by PredatorX

7 answers to this question

If they are not, they should blow out your fuse or damage dimmer. Its not possible to combine different phases into one circuit. Easy but not reccomended test is to connect live wire of C1 with C2. If nothing will happen, than its the same cicuit. In other case you will shut the cicuit breaker of the house down, or blow the fuse. 

Are you sure that both Circuit 1 and 2  are on the same phase in the house?

• Inquirer
  • No, I am not... I will check and post once I found out.

So if they aren’t, it isn’t supposed to work but if they are it should? Is that correct?

• Inquirer
  • They are not on the same phase... So that means I probably fried the Dimmer, at least the switching inputs.

I tried this by measuring voltage between the two contacts, just FYI :-D

That in itself isn't too bad as I can switch it out for another one which doesn't use the inputs.

The worst thing is that I have to come up with another solution for wiring and I guess I won't find one ]:->

Thanks for your input!

Edited by PredatorX

2 hours ago, Igy said:

If they are not, they should blow out your fuse or damage dimmer. Its not possible to combine different phases into one circuit. Easy but not reccomended test is to connect live wire of C1 with C2. If nothing will happen, than its the same cicuit. In other case you will shut the cicuit breaker of the house down, or blow the fuse. 

:-(Or you could use a volt meter or even better get a electrician 

12 hours ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

:-(Or you could use a volt meter or even better get a electrician 

Sure, thats a correct way. Thats why I said, that this is easy, but not recommended :-) Not everyone has voltmeter to measure 2 phases available and electrician handy...

Hi Predator

Your way to wire up the dimmer is any how not in line with Fibaro's wiring diagram.
    I burned the input S1 of a dimmer (Dimmer1) the last days. It was connected to the same line (over toggle switch) and died with a nice electronic smell :x.
    But funny, the same set up with a Dimmer2 works, even also this is not recommended by Fibaro.
    Just in case to be on the safe side: use the qubio dimmer which is designed accordingly

Good luck

Edited by Liun