Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

RGBW controller to run a 12V fan

howardtopher

Question

The user manual for the RGBW controller states that it can be used for a fan, however it doesn't go into any further detail about how to hook it up or what kind of fan to use.  I know the RGBW controller uses PWM for dimming, so I would expect a fan with a PWM input would work.  I haven't been able to find anywhere on these forums or on the general internet that anyone has actually used this to run a fan.

Does it actually work?  Is there a diagram that I have overlooked that shows how to hook it up?  The fan I have in mind is a 120mm PC case fan that has a PWM input.  It's 12V and only 1.44 watts at full speed, so it's within the specs of the RGBW controller.  I know I can just get a relay for on/off functionality, but I'd like to be able to adjust the speed as well.

6 answers to this question

For DC fan you may drive it directly from RGBW controller. Just connect red wire to +12V and black to one of RGBW outputs. DC motors may be driven with PWM impulses directly. Yellow wire in standard PC fans is for speed monitoring only, leave it unconnected. Remember about current and power limitations.

• Inquirer
  • On 1/15/2019 at 2:35 AM, grave said:

For DC fan you may drive it directly from RGBW controller. Just connect red wire to +12V and black to one of RGBW outputs. DC motors may be driven with PWM impulses directly. Yellow wire in standard PC fans is for speed monitoring only, leave it unconnected. Remember about current and power limitations.

I tried this tonight and it didn't work.  The fan spins fine plugged directly into the 12V power supply.  If I connect the RGBW controller and fan in the way that you described, the fan tries to start but just stutters and makes a hum. 

I obtained a fan with a PWM input to compare and that did work, although it hummed.  The PWM fan was connected red to +12V, black to GND, and the PWM input to the white output.  I could speed it up and slow it down, but the hum was louder than the fan is normally at full speed.

I think I'm going to have to search for another solution.  Thanks for your assistance.

@howardtopher With direct connection did you try to run PWM on 100 %? Did the fan starts then? With PWM set on 100 % it should be just GND potential on RGBW outputs. It's possible that you need to adjust minimal dimming parameter to higher value to fan could start. Default 1% might be to weak to move fan blades. Unfortunately RGBW controller could not change PWM frequency and it might be to low/high for certain DC motors. PWM frequency is 244 Hz, so it might cause acoustic noises. You may try to eliminate them by installing capacitor parallel to the fan to "smooth" PWM impulses.

I have fibaro rgbw with four fans connected as described directly.. I will remember its important fan has a low voltage to start. Some fans work very good others dont.

I use also fibaro universal sensor to monitor temp and regulate fans. I was forced to differentiate start and also have full speed when start from zero, so they not stand still and hummed. 

I am not satisfied with solution and wonder what type of capacitor i can mount parallel with fans.

Hi, I tested two different 12V fans:

Lunos e2 60  Lunos does not work.

Helios KWL EC 45-160

Helios works! it works with other standard RGBW controllers, too

Both fans have a 3 wire (12+, GND, PWM) connection..even same phoenix-plug :)

I disassembled them, both run on with an ebm-papst fan: Vario Pro 4412. Helios with submodel 4412 FGPR works. (Lunos with 4412 FGMAR does not!).

According to the specs, Helios lowered the PWM frequency to work with the RGBW-Controller range, whereas Lunos uses the frequency common for PC fans/cooling.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by RuuM5

Just for info.

Standard PC FANS will not work with the Fibaro RGBW controller(244Hz PWM)

I found that, according to the intel specifications for PWM controlled fans:

Please login or register to see this link.

The PWM frequency for PC fans should be between 21-28kHz

About a year ago, I found a company which was busy developing a 25kHz Z-wave pwm controller:

Please login or register to see this link.

But as of today, I have no information if the product is available :-(
    Maybe there is another company?
    cheers