Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Tado & Fibaro for Electric Underfloor Heating

sheldon

Hi,

We're undergoing a full renovation and I'm trying to get some smart stuff in the house.  I've opted, for better or worse, to go for the Tado smart heating solution and Fibaro for all the lighting controllers.

There is some complexity when it comes to the electric underfloor heating though.  The Tado thermostat can turn the electric underfloor heating on and off but it does not accept a temperature probe to monitor the temp of the floor itself to ensure it doesn't exceed safe limits.  I am sure I can solve this by putting a Sonoff TH10 along with the Sonoff temperature sensor (configured to cut off at 32 degrees C) between the Tado thermostat and the electric underfloor heating but I would prefer it if I could use a Fibaro device instead.  My problem is I can't quite work out how to do this with Fibaro kit.

There seems to be a little three pronged Fibaro temperature sensor but I am not sure how I would be able to wire that up so that it is embedded into the floor and connected to to some sort of Fibaro device to monitor the probe and cut off power when a set temperature is reached and turn on power when temperature is below threshold.  Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sheldon

If you use a universal sensor with DS18B20 sensors to monitor the floor temperature, but you can also monitor the romm temperature. To put the heating on or of you can use a Fibaro relays switch. 

You can make a lua scene if the room temperature low heating on, if the floor is to hot heating off.

One universal sensor you can connect 4 DS18b20 temperature sensors. 

hi @sheldon,

I have a similar task of connecting an electric infrared heating that should be temperature activated and deactivated.

So I want to share my thoughts about it.

I didn't find any satisfying solution using fibaro modules. The simple reason is that I want a wired device to capture the temperature as battery powered is to risky for me.

So what I'm going to try is using a Qubino on-off thermostat. They have a connector for an external temperature sensor.

With this relay I'm going to turn the electric heating on and off, no additional thermostat, as I think electric heating can only have two states: on and off (not 50% or anything else).

Sounds good? The cons of this approach is that qubino modules are in direct competition to the fibaro modules. Therefore the support of the modules

is somewhat limited in HC2 as I have read in other threads. What I know is that the additional Inputs I1-I3 don't work, but that would be ok as long as the switching + the temperature readings work.

Maybe anyone else is already using such modules with connected temperature sensor and can confirm if they work properly in HC2?

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

BR - kro

• Topic Author
  • Hi @Reinhold & @kroeatschge,

Thank you both for your input. I'm still trying to work out the optimum solution that will allow me to keep the Tado thermostat as the room thermostat as I just like the look of them (foolish I know) and it keeps my heating ecosystem all with one manufacturer.  I believe I have a workable solution using a Sonoff TH10 with their waterproof temperature probe as the floor temp sensor in conjunction with the Tado thermostat as the room temp sensor.

So the current plan is to wire the Sonoff TH10 to the temp probe and the power down to the underfloor heating (UFH) and set it to cut off when the floor temp probe reaches a defined safe maximum. Then wire the Sonoff up to the Tado thermostat, which is in turn wired up to the mains and wirelessly connected to the Tado hub, which connects to the gas boiler.

So when the Tado thermostat makes a request for heat, it speaks to the Tado hub which then instructs the Tado thermostat to send power to the UFH. The power being supplied to the UFH has to pass through the Sonoff device which will only pass the power down to the UFH if the floor temp probe is below the set safe maximum.

I was hoping this had been done using some Fibaro modules so that I could use those instead of the Sonoff ones but it looks like it will not only be more expensive but quite a bit more complicated as I'd need a Fibaro Universal Sensor (which looks like it needs some sort of box to go in), a Fibaro Probe (which I still don't know quite how I'd wire it up to place in the UFH) and a Fibaro Relay Switch to turn the power on and off.  I've got to do this in three areas of the house and the Sonoff solution seems much simpler and will only cost around £20 for each UFH installation.

There are other, arguably better solutions of you're not trying to incorporate the Tado switch into the mix.  Here's some advice from a really helpful chap called Deezell on

Please login or register to see this link.

:

Alternatively, and more correctly, you can integrate a standard electric UFH Probe stat. These are very specific devices, and consist of a wall mounted stat, which is powered by the mains and delivers the power to the heating elements according to the probe temperature reading only, or also in conjunction with an ambient temperature sensor in the wall mounted stat. Here is a standard electric UFH wall stat, OTN 1991H11

This is the wiring diagram

This stat can stand alone as an UFH controller, wired to the mains it provides power up to 3000 Watts under control of the floor thermostat probe. It will not allow the floor elements to overheat, and will also control the room temperature according to the dial. It meets the basic safety standards for electric UFH, and while this stat is not smart per se, it has the advantage that a control signal from an overriding smart stat or timer can be connected to turn the UFH on and off. The stat therefore acts as the higher current relay which is desirable, fulfils the floor probe safety requirements, and can be actuated by an external smart stat/controller, such as the TRV call for heat via the Tado main stat. You simply have to run an extra wire from the Tado main stat switched live Normally Open (NO) terminal to terminal 5 of the UFH stat (fig 5, 2nd image). These cost in the region of 35 to 50, though there are cheap versions for a tenner, but you need to be sure it has the timer integration terminal enabled to act as a relay.

@kroeatschge

I use the universal sensor with the DS18B20 sensors and this is not battery powered. But with a 12v power supply, i use it for my infra red heating in combination with a wall plug. I have made a lua scene for it and its working fine.

@sheldon

I don't know how many sensors you need, but if you but the relays you can put in a box in the wall. If you have one universal sensor, you can connect 4 sensors. 

You will connect the heating with you homecenter center, this is a way to do it. With the sonoff you can't do it. And the DS18b20 are the same size as the probe from the sonoff.

Edited by Reinhold