Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 - unable to power off using connected switch

marcin12

Question

I have a problem with installation of the Dimmer 2 device - I can turn on the connected LEDs but I unable to turn it off using connected switch (no response to turn off). However, both switching on and off work without a problem using the application (z-wave).
So there is a problem only with the use of a connected switch.
I can not deal with this problem, my electrician does not either :)

Could it be related to insufficient LED power? Will then connecting the bypass solve this problem. I will emphasize once again - switching on / off using the application works without a problem.

The second question - my LEDs are only 3W, and still work (through the application) with Dimmer 2. Is the use of a bypass still recommended in this configuration?

The third question - I am using in my HA also Double Switch 2 devices, which I use as main light switches (all light circuits are connected to them). In my case, the Double Switch works just as well when 1 x 5W light is on and when all lights (~ 800 W) are on. According to manual it shouldn't work. Why it works?

And last question - directly to the vendor - why does FIbaro have such a poorly developed network of installers in Poznań? I'm from Poznan, I can reach to the Fibaro headquarters in 10 minutes. I can not find a Fibaro installer for half a year.

6 answers to this question

Are you sure the switch is connected between sx and s1? Between feed and s1 may not work.

With dimmer 2 and low wattages I take a try and see approach re wether to fit bypass, I don’t have a need for  (no neutral) configurations though which may contribute to issues if used. Is your switch type configured correctly? Toggle or momentary push button?

Re switch 2 and load types and sizes, low wattage isn’t the problem , its the type of load when the wattage gets up and creates arching on the contacts the may reduce the contacts life time. They are designed for resistive loads, most Leds etc have electronic drivers making the contacts suffer more when the wattages get up. Its the inrush current when first switched on. They will still work with with a small number of led’s connected just not guaranteed to last if your load gets up.

Some power supply’s, by design, have huge inrush currents even though they only run small loads.

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

• Inquirer
  • Switch is for 100% connected between S1 and Sx (I checked it today several times).

I need to verify if switch type is selected correctly in configuration (param 20).

So if I understand you right, my configuration will work (with low W of connected LEDs) but it is possible that it would work longer (and more reliably) if I use bypass?

No, thats a switch 2 will last longer. 

It does not need or use a bypass.

Remember Fibaro recommends resistive loads only for switch 2 but from my experience 4 led 12w down lights doesn’t cause a problem.

The dimmer doesn’t have contacts

it switches electronically its problem is it sometimes can’t  control low wattage loads correctly without a bypass.

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

In Advance option of dimmer 2 there is a parameter option of toggle switch,momentary switch...change the parameter to toggle switch..and save it...

This option works for me...Try it

Hello

Not sure if these posts finalised the query from the original poster. If it was, I'm not sure what the solution was. I'm having the same issue.

The 4 led's turn on and off using an app, but I can't switch the lights on or off using the wall toggle switch and I can't even switch lights off once they're on when switched on via the app.

Do I need the bypass?

If not, can you help with a solution?

The wiring is shown in the attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

On 6/27/2019 at 2:36 PM, THEAUTOMATIONCOMPANY said:

In Advance option of dimmer 2 there is a parameter option of toggle switch,momentary switch...change the parameter to toggle switch..and save it...

This option works for me...Try it

In my Advanced options of the FGD-212 dimmer, there is not a parameter option called toggle switch. Could it be called something else?