Jump to content

Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

 

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

 

As a member you can:

  •     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

 

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team


  • 0
LordLiverpool

Confused about Fibaro FGS-222 S1/S2 versus Q1/Q2

Question

I have two Fibaro FGS-222 relays controlling a heat pump. I would like to be able to operate the heat pump manually by attaching switches to S1/S2 in case the controller stops responding - currently I can only control it remotely via the home automation.

I'm confused about what S1 and S2 do. Can you control the relay both remotely (Q1/Q2) and manually (S1/S2), each independent of one another - i.e. turn the pump on or off by either method; or are S1/S2 master switches, as the manual suggests - i.e., if S1/S2 is off, it stays off and you can't turn it on from Q1/Q2? Also, if you have turned the pump off remotely, via Q1/Q2, can you turn it back on using S1/S2? Or will turning S1/S2 off and then on again simply "enable" control via the home automation controller, but remain in the off state until turned on remotely? And does this depend on configuration parameters such as parameter 13, and/or the type of switch (toggle/momentary).

I've read around trying to understand this, but I don't find the documentation clear at all. 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted (edited)

@LordLiverpool, S1 and S2 are input, where you connect your physical buttons (if you have any) on the wall. Q1 and Q2 are outputs, where you connect the load(light, wallplug, ...).

 

Please, check manual

Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by jakub.jezek
manual link added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Inquirer
  • 10 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

    @LordLiverpool, S1 and S2 are input, where you connect your physical buttons (if you have any) on the wall. Q1 and Q2 are outputs, where you connect the load(light, wallplug, ...).

     

    Please, check manual

    Please login or register to see this link.

    OK, my point is: can I turn the device on and off both remotely (via Z-Wave) and manually (via S1/S2) or are S1/S2 master switches that override remote control?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 0

    @LordLiverpool, Device do last command it receives. There is no "master" switch.

     

    I think what you can do (not sure for 100%) is turn on RF protection (will not receive commands from Z-Wave) and local protection (physical switches block).

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 0
  • Inquirer
  • 7 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

    @LordLiverpool, Device do last command it receives. There is no "master" switch.

     

    I think what you can do (not sure for 100%) is turn on RF protection (will not receive commands from Z-Wave) and local protection (physical switches block).


    Ahh, you're right. The reference I saw to S1 being the master switch was talking about the FGS-212, not the FGS-222. So, the device will be turned on or off whenever it gets and on/off command from the manual switches or remotely. And therefore a physical toggle switch will toggle the current state (no position corresponds to "on" or "off")?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 0
    4 minutes ago, LordLiverpool said:

    And therefore a physical toggle switch will toggle the current state (no position corresponds to "on" or "off")?

    Depends on Switch settings. Check parameter 14.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 0
  • Inquirer
  • 17 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

    Depends on Switch settings. Check parameter 14.

    Well, that was part of my original question. I don't find the documention clear. What are the implications of choosing a toggle or a momentary switch? 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 0

    Momentary switch return to previous position (has spring), which means it sends pulses.

     

    Toggle switch does not return and stays in state you switched it to. So it sends 230V into fgs-222 or not.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 0
  • Inquirer
  • 2 hours ago, jakub.jezek said:

    Momentary switch return to previous position (has spring), which means it sends pulses.

     

    Toggle switch does not return and stays in state you switched it to. So it sends 230V into fgs-222 or not.

    I'm sorry Jakub, but I don't know if there's a language barrier or something, but that's not what I'm asking. I can read that in the manual. My question is about the functioning of the relays and the interaction/interdependency between the two methods of control. 

    Let's try to make it simple. Imagine you have a toggle switch in the "off" position and you last turned the machine off remotely from the home automation. If you switch the toggle switch to "on", does the machine turn on? Does this also change the state of the home automation switch?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 0

    All right, I think there is some understanding barrier in me understanding questions correctly.

     

    Let's say switch type is set to toggle.

     

    So, if you have relay in ON position and turn toggle switch to ON position, nothing happens. Then if you turn toggle switch to off, then relay will be in off state.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 0
  • Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

    Momentary switches are way less confusing

     

    4 hours ago, jakub.jezek said:

    All right, I think there is some understanding barrier in me understanding questions correctly.

     

    Let's say switch type is set to toggle.

     

    So, if you have relay in ON position and turn toggle switch to ON position, nothing happens. Then if you turn toggle switch to off, then relay will be in off state.


    Really, my objective is to have manual control in the event that the home automation goes offline. As I understand it, I would have manual control in both cases, but a momentary switch is, as Jamie says, simply clearer: there's no persistent state.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 0
    1 minute ago, LordLiverpool said:

    As I understand it, I would have manual control in both cases, but a momentary switch is, as Jamie says, simply clearer: there's no persistent state.

    Yes, they are simple and actualy we recommend them everywhere. They are also much better for multi-click scenes (double-clicks and triple-clicks).

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 0
  • Inquirer
  • 28 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

    Yes, they are simple and actualy we recommend them everywhere. They are also much better for multi-click scenes (double-clicks and triple-clicks).

    Ok thanks!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Answer this question...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


    ×
    ×
    • Create New...