Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Why does my wall plug switch itself off?

joerih

Question

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I bought a Fibaro wall plug. I intend to use it with my 3D printer, so I can automatically switch it off when a print is finished (which in my case is often during the night). I tried to use it a couple of times now, but the wall plug switches itself off during printing, when it was running for only 15 minutes in one case, about an hour in another.

I see the following in the log:

2019-06-30 13:18:30.990 Info, Node015, Received Alarm report: type=0, level=0, sensorSrcID=0, type:Power Management event:6, status=255

This to me suggests that it switches off because of the built-in overcurrent protection that, according to the manual, gets active when the detected current exceeds 12A. However, the power supply of the printer is rated at only 200W, so I don't see how it could ever exceed 12A.

What do you think? Could this be a faulty device? Is there anything I can try to verify this?

4 answers to this question

On 7/6/2019 at 12:08 AM, joerih said:

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I bought a Fibaro wall plug. I intend to use it with my 3D printer, so I can automatically switch it off when a print is finished (which in my case is often during the night). I tried to use it a couple of times now, but the wall plug switches itself off during printing, when it was running for only 15 minutes in one case, about an hour in another.

I see the following in the log:

2019-06-30 13:18:30.990 Info, Node015, Received Alarm report: type=0, level=0, sensorSrcID=0, type:Power Management event:6, status=255

This to me suggests that it switches off because of the built-in overcurrent protection that, according to the manual, gets active when the detected current exceeds 12A. However, the power supply of the printer is rated at only 200W, so I don't see how it could ever exceed 12A.

What do you think? Could this be a faulty device? Is there anything I can try to verify this?

Hello
I have a similar problem. I recently bought a Wall Plug FGWPF-102 ZW5 v3.2 and connected it to HC2 v4.600. I wanted to find out how much electricity the computer equipment consumes in my workplace per month because I don’t turn off anything when I finish work. I connected all the devices: internet router, network switch, network storage, desktop computer, large monitor and two printers - Samsung ML-2851ND laser and Brother DCP-T500W inkjet. And in addition - the LED lamp on the table :) I made the following settings:
Always ON mode - function activated, Overload safety switch - function inactive.

When everything was turned on, the power used was about 250W. And the first problems started when it was necessary to print a document with a laser printer. As soon as the printer "moved", the Wall Plug turned off. Of course, the computer and all the other devices turned off. And so several times in a row. Then I decided to experiment with a 2kW water heater. When the water heater was plugged into the Wall Plug, it started to crackle as if something was not in contact. At that time, the consumption showed 2.07kW. The crackling continued all the time, so after 10 seconds I was scared and pulled the Wall Plug out of the socket. I touched the Wall Plug contacts and burned my fingers - the contacts were very, very hot. It hurt like touching a soldering iron. When the water heater is plugged directly into the socket, nothing crackles and the contacts do not heat up. Does the Wall Plug have to work this way (even the allowable 2.5kW limit has not been reached)?

No, it does not work as it should.

sent is back to youre seller, before youre house burns down.

Same problem here. The plugs (having the problem with 4 units now) continously produces "overcurrent" shutdowns while maximum load is 300W from connected device.