Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Third party 240V movement sensor

danveedan

Question

Hi all, fairly new integrator here from Australia,

Just wondering what the best solution is to integrating a third party 240V movement sensor into a system?

Essentially have a light in a garage which is controlled by a switch and also a sensor - when the switch is off, the sensor turns the light on/off as per set time, when the switch is left on, the light stays on until it is turnerd off.

It is wired in a way that both the switch wires from the sensor and light switch are joined and put into a common terminal of the light switch.

Was thinking to use a 1ch relay and put the switched active/positive/hot etc wire from each of the sensor and switch into S1 and S2. This would be a problem when the switch is left on, as the lights would turn off then on again as soon as someone walked in the garage. Annoying if they were say cleaning the car etc etc

Yes I am a licensed electrician, so safe to alter the switch wiring,  just new to the fibaro stuff!

Any suggestions?

Regards

9 answers to this question

I have used a double relay to do this.. use one side to control the flood light and the other to control the PIR. This works very well. I have replaced the existing flood security lights that I had with LED flood lights and bought the PIR sensors from Amazon for pretty cheap price.. they are powered by 230v. I have a scene that responds to the change of status and switches the light on.

Only thing I would like is for Fibaro to allow me to setup the second channel on the double relay as a PIR.. at present, it is tagged as light. It still functions.

Give me a ping if you have any questions.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  • Thank rajp,

Not sure how the wiring works in the UK, but in Australia the L2 switch terminal has continuity to common when the switch is in the OFF position, when you turn the switch ON this changes to continuity between L1 and common. 

Therefore according to the above diagram, the relay unit has power when the switch is OFF, but when someone was to turn the swich ON, this would effectively kill the power to the relay unit? This would mean the relay would dissapear off the Z wave network?

Or am i missing something?

Also the sensor has a 'warm up' time, where it will switch itself on for a short time when power is turned on after a power outage, switchboard turned off etc., Not sure if this would affect things at all?

Cheers for the advice so far mate

6 hours ago, danveedan said:

Thank rajp,

Not sure how the wiring works in the UK, but in Australia the L2 switch terminal has continuity to common when the switch is in the OFF position, when you turn the switch ON this changes to continuity between L1 and common. 

Therefore according to the above diagram, the relay unit has power when the switch is OFF, but when someone was to turn the swich ON, this would effectively kill the power to the relay unit? This would mean the relay would dissapear off the Z wave network?

Also the sensor has a 'warm up' time, where it will switch itself on for a short time when power is turned on after a power outage, switchboard turned off etc., Not sure if this would affect things at all?

Ahh ok.. so let me just clarify my issue on that basis, my lights are always on regardless as there needs to be a permenant live which I don't have. My setup is a retrofit in a position where I could not run a perm live. So what I have is a scene that triggers the light on when the PIR is breached when it is dark outside. I have also got a TKB ZWave dual paddle switch that allows me to run a scene that turns the other scene off and turns the light on without timeout setting. When the switch is triggered again, and if the first Scene is off, it turns the light off and then puts the scene back to automatic. Hope this clarifies.

Just to clarify, I am not a Electrician so all this was done in talking with the company who I bought all my ZWave stuff from..

Guest Andyabacus

Hi Dan,

We have a 3 position switchmech doing our front lights.

All I did was wire the load from the pir in parallel with the output of the relay.

That way you can toggle sensor on/off  and toggle load on/off from the switch.

7 hours ago, danveedan said:

Thank rajp,

Could you not just do it the same way you have with a single switch in the relay so the sensor will turn on the light and if the switch is turned on it will hold it on till switched off? that would over ride the sensor as it has a constant connection?

55 minutes ago, MyLocalElectrician said:

Could you not just do it the same way you have with a single switch in the relay so the sensor will turn on the light and if the switch is turned on it will hold it on till switched off? that would over ride the sensor as it has a constant connection?

You can  but as these are security flood lights, I wanted them to be always in On position and let the relay control when to switch on and off. I didn't want someone to accidentally turn the switch off and not realise it. Thats all.