Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

RGBW Association and Grouping Not Working

alex88

Question

Aim: I want each group of led runs to be controlled by a single wall switch. I have tried the following:

Setup: I have 2x runs of RGBWW LED strips:

A) 2x Fibaro RGBW Modules = Controlling 2x RGBWW LED strips = Switch A + hidden RGBW module

B) 3x Fibaro RGBW Modules = Controlling 3x RGBWW LED strips = Switch B + 2x hidden RGBW modules

Config: All RGBW set to Momentary + Rainbow

Fibaro RGBW Module Firmware: All RGBW on 25.25

HC2 Firmware: 4.540  / 4.560

Fibaro RGBW Location: Switch A & B are next to each other and 1x Slave A, 2x Slaves B are next to each other. The 3x slaves are installed about 5m away from the 2x switches in a cupboard. There are no other obstructions in the way.

Completed Tests 

1. Associations

Action: I picked the RGBW Module hidden behind the switch I want to control each run and, in associations, associated the additional RGBW for A) and the 2x RGBW for b). I selected Group 1, 2, 3, 4, hit save.

Behaviour Switch A = pressing switch A: When I click on switch A both strips turn on and off roughly at the same time, when I click and hold to rotate colours they seem to keep the same colour for about 3 seconds then the "master" i.e. the RGBW behind the switch I am pressing keeps changing colour and the "slave" falls behind. When I let go of the switch the "slave" catches up

Behaviour Switch B = single click to turn on and the 2nd led strips comes on just after the 1st with the 3rd taking about 3-4 seconds (which looks very odd I might add) before turning on. On clicking and holding I get the same behaviour as switch A for the master and 2nd RGBW, except this time the 3rd strip does nothing until I release the button and then the 2nd strip syncs in a second or so and the 3rd strip syncs in about 3-4 seconds time

Behaviour from the web interface, changing state or colour of master RGBW only affects the master RGBW module. The other modules do nothing.

1. Device Grouping

Action: On the “master” RGBW I group the “slave” RGBW modules and hit save

Behaviour from the web interface, changing state or colour of master RGBW syncs with all devices. I wasn’t in the room to see if the same delays occurred, but the end result is a single device in the web interface controls multiple RGBW devices

Behaviour Switch A & B = is the same for both switches, now the switch only controls the “master” RGBW module. The other RGBW modules are no longer controlled by the switch of the “master”… this is quite disappointing

3. Device Grouping & Associations

Action: Create associations first as per 1. and the group devices as per 2.

Behaviour is a combination of 1 & 2 i.e. web interface controls all devices from a single device, pressing switch does sync colours but only after releasing the switch and waiting for 3-4 seconds

Other Issues

I have not tested all the scenarios, but I can change the colour from the wall switch and annoyingly the web interface doesn’t update. It’s a minor point for now.

Help please: Does anyone have advice on how to get one wall switch with a “master” RGBW module to control multiple RGBW modules at the same time in sync?

EDIT 1: I just found this post ... so it looks like it is meant to work. I wonder if it's broken on v4.540.

This feature was presented in version V 4.100

Other improvements:

- Multiple RGBW devices can be grouped and controlled as one (both with interface and physical switches). Integration is possible in Advanced Configuration of one of RGBW Controllers.

EDIT 2: Updating HC2 to 4.560. Fingers crossed!!!

EDIT 3: Update to 4.560, so far so good, but the EXACT same behaviour is exhibited as when on 4.540. Now in the process of upgrading firmware from 25.25 to 27.27. Let's see if that does anything.

EDIT 4: Managed to get 1x RGBW to upgrade to 27.27, but the 2nd one managed to get from 25.25 to 25.27 but failed to get to 27.27 on over 10 attempts. In the end the HC2 antenna was 10cm from the device and it still failed. I give up!

EDIT 5: Restored back to 4.540 as 4.560 created too many new issues ... heating stopped working, devices not communicating, significantly larger lags in auto lighting etc. Still no ides if the Fibaro RGBW module can do what I am trying to achieve... which seems like pretty basic functionality to me.

Regards

Aleks

Edited by amilanov

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet