Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Power stays on when turning plug off

m-joy

Question

Hi,

i have a Power Plug, that does not cut the power when switching it off. The plug itself seems to be properly turned off, but the devices that are connected to this plug still have power.... 

I did some reinclusion and parameter refresh stuff to the plug, and sometimes it seems to be working again. But after some time the failure behaviour is back.

Anyone else had this kind of failure?

Greets

6 answers to this question

Hello. Sorry, but it seems seems the relay is stuck. It's physical problem and you will not be able to solve it. If it's still under warranty you should exchange it for a new one.

@baskalex is correct.

You can lightly tap with screwdriver on the switch to release relay contact. 

Looks like the load of your device is too high for the switch. May I suggest to use this switch in other place, (where the load is less)  and buy a new powerful switch.

This happen with oldest fibaro switch2  when you connect for ex. LED via transformer (switch-on current problem).
In somewhere on the forum are topic about it and solution (condenser,with resistor or varistor)

ex.:

Please login or register to see this image.

or you can buy one of many ready-made systems, e.g. 

Please login or register to see this link.

(I don't advertise them, I'm just in Poland and Google showed me the Polish manufacturer's website)

Such solution can be easily made by yourself or bought I sure for 1 euro or less. Looking price of z-wave modules for me the answer is clear for place where are they used induction devices

(FIbaro for resolve this problem in last version of switch sent update last year)

But mach easy method give @cag014 ;-)

Edited by drboss

• Inquirer
  • HI,

thanks for the answers.

It was an old v1 switch which was connected with a television and 2 active speakers.

The ring was always blue, so not too many power drawn. Maybe inrush current was pretty high though.

The switch should work for the specified 2.5kW in normal operation...

I hope the new switch is more powerfull, or maybe i will try another brand...

New versions are available for this problem (definitely after a firmware upgrade). This was a problem ver.1. Actual power consumption does not matter, e.g. this is often the case with LED strip power supplies. And the power given is the power for resistance loads, not for induction ones.

I have 2 plugs with the same problem (stuck relay). The connected appliances are a fridge and freezer with 90 / 70 watts respectively. Problem occured after 3,5 years of operation. Summary: crap devices (at least in th version i have).

Edit: I banged the devices hard a couple of times. Now they work again. The relays unstuck themselves. I guess they do not like being not operated for two or more years while under load. Made a script that will switch them on / off every once in a while.  

Edited by unitedeurope007