Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

fixing a broken / corrupted recovery USB

dimae

Question

Hi all,

Today I was sorting my cables and I have accidentally switched off HC2 power supply... Then my HC2 was not able to start (all leds lights fade off after booting, exactly

Please login or register to see this link.

). The good thing is that I have fixed it booting without the recovery USB. Then I was able to boot into recovery mode and I have restored a cloud back-up. Very easy!

But now I have a broken / corrupted recovery USB. If I plug it, then my HC2 is not booting... If I remove it, then I can boot perfectly.

I have been trying to restore a neutral Image (ISO) of a recovery IMG (

Please login or register to see this link.

). This way seems to work because unique HC2 dongle key is preserved on USB pendrive firmware, but I can't restore it anymore... It takes like 1 hour and this is not possible I guess. I am thinking that my USB is physically broken, not only corrupted.

So I would like to ask you for your help and experience:

1) Can I buy a single new recovery USB from Fibaro? I don't want to send my HC2.

2) Can I "live" without that USB? I mean that I have been able to restore perfectly from cloud... I guess that this is always better having a USB, but I am asking where is strictly necessary having it? In what circunstantes should I have one USB yes or yes?

Thank you very much for your help

4 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, sonnyboy said:

You can live without the recovery key, i do and it works great :)

Thanks! What happened to you? Did you had any problem after... I guest that without key, you have 1 chance but with key, you have 2 more, right?

If the software in your HC2 is 4.5XX or later, the Recovery Stick no longer performs any function and can therefore be removed.

There was so much hardware problem with the USB stick so Fibaro changed the software so that the backups are saved in the "cloud" or on your PC instead (the choice is yours).

The USB stick is also not used for software updates.

I have two HC2 and the Recovery sticks have been in the desk drawer since version 4.500.

• Inquirer
  • On 2/1/2020 at 9:27 AM, RH_Dreambox said:

If the software in your HC2 is 4.5XX or later, the Recovery Stick no longer performs any function and can therefore be removed.

There was so much hardware problem with the USB stick so Fibaro changed the software so that the backups are saved in the "cloud" or on your PC instead (the choice is yours).

The USB stick is also not used for software updates.

I have two HC2 and the Recovery sticks have been in the desk drawer since version 4.500.

thank you very much, yes I have the latest one :-)