Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Installation Dimmer 2 with 2

ParisEdward

Question

I am having installation issues. I already have about 7 Fibaro Dimmer 2s ("the appliance") installed, but this one has me stymied. I have 3 wires in this wire box. I tested the wiring with a simple on/off switch and this works as does the bulb. Just a heads up, I do not know what the third wire does but it does seem important. I followed the instructions on page 9. When I returned the power to the appliance, for a split second the light goes on and the Dimmer displays a green light. Immediately after the light goes dark and the appliance goes to a solid red and stays there. I attempted the various calibrations (especially blue, but also red, white, green, violet and yellow). All pause for a bit and return to solid read.

The appliance does broadcast and I have integrated it into my Openhab system. In that system I can turn it on, but at whatever percent, it jumps to 6% only or turns off.

I have attempted to changes the wires but the appliance is dark in all other configurations. I can get the light on by placing a wire connecting Sx to N (keeping the rest of the configuration the same), but the appliance stays dark. I also have another unused appliance and I attempted to attach it in place of this one, with the same issue, so it is something with the configuration.

Any ideas?

4 answers to this question

could you post your wiring connection?

• Inquirer
  • Thank you for responding.

L - The line in. I have tested with a power meter to verify

S1 - Goes to the wall switch in the Line in connection

s2 - This connection is empty

Sx - Goes to the wall switch in line out connection

N - the mystery third wire is here.

X - Power out. Again, tested with a meter

One note, In troubleshooting, I have tried to just connect the appliance, so I have not had the connections S1 and Sx connected. I have tried this with the empty connections, and also, to simulate the connection to the wall switch, a temporary wire connecting the S1 and Sx. No difference in the appliance.

To me it sounds like you do not have neutral. I imagine that you have live in and that goes through your old switch to the lamp - which have neutral. If that is so, you will have problems because the Fibaro device need both live and neutral - and, of cause, a wire to the lamp.

You have to yo through your wiring and look in the Fibaro device manual. The drawings about possible connections are rather good.

• Inquirer
  • There was one already installed here that may have been shot with a power surge. It worked fine for 2 years. So, with the existing box it is possible. Unfortunately an electrician set up the last one. 

Let me also post this video, showing how to use the appliance without the N lead. I will take a look at this as well and see if it helps.

Edited by ParisEdward