Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Intercom gets *** VERY HOT ***

Fitchie71

Question

All,

I  bought my Fibaro Intercom a long time ago, have experimented with it in the past, but only recently definitively installed it.

It seems that the heat sink inside the wall box reaches far too high temperatures.

Tested on the kitchen table with the termocouple near (but not against) the heat sink, each test lasted for >3 hours:

- Ethernet with PoE : 55 ° Celcius

- Ethernet with 12 VDC external power : 50 ° Celcius

- Ethernet with 9 VDC external power : 49 ° Celcius

Now it has been installed in the wall box, and I'm worrying what will happen when the sun will shine on it within a few months ?

I have also read the other topics, where it is indicated that this behaviour is normal, but I cannot imagine that such high temperatures are "healthy" for the inside electronics.

1. What is the experience of others who have been using the intercom for longer time ?

2. How can I measure/monitor the inside temperature of the device ?

Thanks before hand for your reply.

Edited by Fitchie71
Added extra info

5 answers to this question

TBH those temperatures are normal for FIBARO intercom

Edited by jakub.jezek

Regarding temperature, no worries:

Regarding Q1 - we have here, since Intercom has been released to public, one installed in direct sunshine all the day. It crashed only twice 2 yrs ago, last year it just turned off video (till temp. dropped). However, that might be different for other locations/walls (one of our Intercom customers repaired once, replaced twice, and finally removed Intercom, as it was crashing 1-2 times per day durring hot summer. But that was energy saving house, with very good temp insluation, and actully no way to get rid of the heat withing the insulated wall).

Regarding Q2 - yes, there is API call but not available for users. It would anyway tell only the CPU temperature, which does not matter, as the CPU can get up to 125°. From my experience the API reported temp was always 10° higher than the temperature measured on the body/heatsink, which is perfectly ok.

Edited by tinman

10 minutes ago, tinman said:

Regarding Q2 - yes, there is API call but not available for users. It would anyway tell only the CPU temperature, which does not matter, as the CPU can get up to 125°. From my experience i was always 10° higher than the temperature measured on the body/heatsink, which is perfectly ok.

Totally agree with that.

Check

Please login or register to see this link.

• Like 1

Under normal conditions of use mine turns between 48 and 70 ° C

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  •  

All,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that I don't have to worry about the high temperature, although it feels a bit uncomfortable.

To my knowledge electronics degrade quadratically with every doubling of the temperature.

Please login or register to see this link.

Krikroff,

Thanks for your nice tool, I checked the temperature with your tool, 59 °C in normal conditions.

It seems I have an even older serial number than you.

Please login or register to see this attachment.