Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Can Flood Sensor be floated in a water tank to measure water temperature?

Greenhippo

Question

Hello folks,

Does anyone use the flood sensor as a water temperature sensor, installed (floating freely) in some kind of water tank?  Is it possible?

From reading the specification, it seems that the device floats in water, is fully waterproof, is fully resistant to corrosion and measures temperature through probes on the bottom/underside of the device, which would therefore measure the water temperature below, not the air temperature above.

Has anyone used a flood sensor to monitor the temperature of (just some examples) a hot water tank, bathtub, swimming pool, jacuzzi, spa, garden pond, the local river (joke)?

Is the temperature reading affected by sunlight on the upper surface of the device?  Could it be attached in a submerged position on the wall of a water tank?

Thanks for your thoughts...

9 answers to this question

It might be possible, but I wouldn't suggest it:

1. The manual says This product is intended to be supplied by a certified Power Supply Unit marked “Class 2” or “LPS” and rated from 12V DC to 24V DC., I wouldn't think that the power supply connection would be water proof enough to submerse it.  If you use batteries only, be prepared to keep changing them.

2. The manual says the maximum operating temperature is 40C, so I wouldn't use in any hot water situations.

A better solution would be use a Fibaro smart implant device, and add a waterproof DS18B20 temperature probe.  Mount the smart implant in a box externally, and run the probe cable inside the water vessel.  You can measure higher temperatures that way as well.

• Inquirer
  • Hi @Tim__,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

1) With regard to the battery power, you've correctly quoted the manual of course but I understand it differently.  I think the flood sensor is actually intended primarily to be used as a battery-powered sensor, just like the door/window sensor, smoke sensor, motion sensor, light sensor, etc.  I think the 12V/24V power input is a secondary alternative and the text you've quoted is simply explaining what sort of power is required in this case (i.e. it's not 240V AC).  Battery power is stated many times in the manual as the first of the two power options, with VDC as a second alternative.   Also, every single use case given by Fibaro including every indicative photo and all the scenarios shown in the promotional videos, all show the device operating under battery power only.  I didn't find even one picture or clip, showing it attached to power.

Furthermore, using wired power is a bit 1990s isn't it?  :) When you go on amazon, you don't see many (any?) floating pool/tub thermometers that need to be plugged in... all of them are battery powered.

2) Good point about the maximum operating temperature, definitely one to remember.

Unfortunately, since the original post, I have found another reason why the proposed usage isn't going to work: as confirmed by Fibaro support, the Flood Sensor does not report the temperature measured through its feet; instead it reports the air temperature measured inside the unit.  Therefore, it would be no use as a floating temperature gauge, as it would be affected by air temperature and direct sunshine above it.

Therefore, despite disagreeing with you on point 1, I do have to agree with your overall recommendation.

Anyone got a good idea for a (wireless) water thermometer?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

You can by Smart Implant, place them somewhere safe outside the water and connect DS18B20 to it. DS18B20 is offered sold as sealed and waterproof. 

• Inquirer
  • Dear @Piotr Bojko,

Thanks a lot for your reply.  However, I am looking for a battery-powered solution that is wireless and free-floating, as mentioned above in a couple of places.

Kind regards,

Greenhippo

• Like 1

Ouch, sorry. The other solution is to use and v1 fibaro window sensor. It has input for DS18B20 as well. You could make the sealed floating box for it by yourself and use a coupler to place the sealed DS18B20 outside the box on a short cable (to by just under the box). 

• Inquirer
  • Dear @Piotr Bojko,

You are right - that is the best 'workaround' solution that I have seen.  It has been tried a couple of times by others who have posted photos and videos online.

I am still tempted to try it with a Flood Sensor, maybe if I can find a cheap one a sale later this year :) 

Thanks again!

My not fact checked opinion is that flood sensor is not sealed properly for this. It is splash proof of course but not waterproof. I have a couple of it around a house. Underneath in the middle it has a little opening witch will cause a leak to inside. PCB inside is not waterproof, nor the battery.

• Inquirer
  • That's a useful observation, thanks for the advice.  I didn't know about the hole in the bottom, that would surely result in water getting inside, in my proposed scenario.

Edited by Greenhippo