Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Heiman SMoke & CO Sensors

Sparks

Question

I have some Heiman Smoke Detectors and some Heiman Carbon Monoxide Detectors. They connect with HC2. Each devic creates a master and two slave devices. I am not clear what each of the slave devices does, why there are two and which one will need to be configured (if at all).

I attach 4 images, one for each slave device for the co (Carbon monoxide) and smoke sensors.

ANyone have the same devices and know what to do with them please?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

2 answers to this question

Interesting question!

I don't own this devices but I am 99% sure this is a Z-Wave compatibility thing, because new Z-Wave stuff can control 15 year old stuff, sometimes the some data is reported in an "old" and a "new" way. It also depends on the availability of a "template".

Based on that "Device kind" field I would say the "com.fibaro.gasDetector" is the more modern one, because it immediately knows it is a "gas" detector. The other one does not really know and wants you to use that drop down menu to tell HC2 which kind it is...

For the technically inclined... I looked up Heiman  in the Alliance datatbase and found this device: 

Please login or register to see this link.

- I had to guess, you did not tell us the model number. If you click on "Z-Wave Command Classes" you'll see it has "Command Class Notification V8" and that V8 is the "new" one.

A similar compatibility thing exists for other devices as well, but for another reason. If you are interested:

In short... I would use the "gasDetector" and hide the other one and stop worrying ;)

• Inquirer
  • Hi @petergebruers,

Thanks for the response. I take the point about it Fibaro recognising the device kind as gas. This works for the CO Sensor.

However, both smoke sensors are at the drop down stage for device kind.

The model is this:

Please login or register to see this link.

What I might do is test one of them with smoke and see which one of the slave devices is triggered and then remove visibility for the other kind. Much easier to test for smoke than carbon monoxide. 

It concerns me that device kind isn't picking up for both devices compared with the CO sensor. Why is that? Does fibaro not know the device?