Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 wiring, no neutral, two way, two wires

dkeenaghan

Question

Hi,

I have a setup with two switches that control a light (actually two lights in series), there's no neutral at the switch and only two wires connecting the two switches. The attached diagram shows the situation.

Is it possible to install the Dimmer 2 (FDG-212) at either switch (if so how?) or do I need to look into replacing the switches with momentary switches?

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_09/image.png.53d1d64fa6e4af2d78c972188af828b1.png" />

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by dkeenaghan
added model number

3 answers to this question

Dimmer 2 goes behind the switch that connects directly to the light (right one). You don't need neutral there but you need a permanent live (a live that is not switched by one of the switches)  which can be difficult to find behind the right switch. You have this of course behind the first switch (the left one), but the dimmer also needs a direct connection to the light (not via the switches), so you cannot put it behind the left one. You could use the earth the wire to bring the Live across from left switch to right switch, but that is highly dodgy and not recommended, and someone will shoot me for even saying that  :)

About momentary switches: Also an option, quite different wiring though: this would give you the possibility to dim the light from both switches, so its a better solution. I have this all throughout my house

you can place it behind switch (the right one)

But most of the times dimmer2 needs a neutral, that is something you don't have, if it doesn't work i would place the dimmer2 at the light and use 2 wallcontrollers to control the dimmer2