Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Lights flashing at set times

Tobian

Question

I've recently installed 6 x Dimmer2 switches with LED lights.

Everything seems to be working well with control over the lights working via a physical switch or via the Vera Edge controller.

Every night at 9.26pm (GMT + 10) and again at 9.56pm I get all lights flashing on and off for about 60 seconds. Every light with a dimmer flashes. I've tried installing a Bypass on one of the light circuits - this has had no effect.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue?

It may also be flashing at other times, but these are the two times I know it happens every night. Lights with no Dimmer 2 do not flash. Disconnecting the Vera controller has no effect - the lights flash at these times.

7 answers to this question

I had the same problem, could not solve it

had to remove the fibaro dimmers and use aeotec dimmers now (the old version)

On 9/29/2020 at 1:07 PM, Tobian said:

I've recently installed 6 x Dimmer2 switches with LED lights.

Everything seems to be working well with control over the lights working via a physical switch or via the Vera Edge controller.

Every night at 9.26pm (GMT + 10) and again at 9.56pm I get all lights flashing on and off for about 60 seconds. Every light with a dimmer flashes. I've tried installing a Bypass on one of the light circuits - this has had no effect.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue?

It may also be flashing at other times, but these are the two times I know it happens every night. Lights with no Dimmer 2 do not flash. Disconnecting the Vera controller has no effect - the lights flash at these times.

i had the same issue with one light fitting and it drived me crazy, removing the module and the light worked fine no random, installing it again and the lights came on, went off at random times. So i decided to try an aeotec and ever since they have been totally fine. I think it might have something to do with the fibaro module not being able to cope with the LED load (inc bypass) and the aeotec works a lot better (on newer firmware).

i am sure fibaro could solve this via firmware if they ever decided to update their products more regularly. 

I had the same problem,  here is my experience of the causes:

1. Incompatibilities between LEDs and drivers (try changing the bulb brands; changing fibaro dimming mode ... leading edge vs trailing edge parameter)

2. Load too small (try testing with higher powered LEDs (over 5W) and/or adding a bypass)

3. Electrical interference ... typically from large motors, nearby industrial equipment, switch mode power supplies. If these are on your property you can eliminate by turning them off. If it's coming in on the mains, you'll need a filter.

4. Ripple signal control. Some utilities inject a control signal to turn Street lights and off peak hot water on and off. The control signal interferes with many types of dimmers...even non smart ones. 

Given this occurs at a fixed time at night, I'm thinking number 4. Google or ask your electricity provider whether they use ripple control. Some places in Australia use such frequency control. The only real solution is a filter, which I ended up doing. Where do you live?

• Inquirer
  • It's looking more and more like a Ripple signal - starts at 9.26pm and repeats every 20 minutes (until I just turn the lights off) _ I can set my watch by it.

No difference if lights are on full brightness or dimmed.

Happens on those with downlights and the LED outside light on the balcony.

I tried a Fibaro Bypass on one light circuit - no effect (I didn't bother fitting to the rest of the circuit as it didn't work on the one).

I'm in Sydney's inner west (Ausgrid area).

Really frustrating as I'm really happy with everything else about them. I was tossing up between the Fibaro and the Aerotec - went Fibaro because I happened to own a multi sensor already.

I'm in Sydney inner west too :-) For me it starts at 10.06pm, so I know you don't live in Drummoyne. Each suburb (main substation) will be slightly different timing so as to spread the load start up time.

The problem drove me nuts. I thought it was Fibaros problem, wanted to return the dimmers, my dealer let me try quibino but if anything they were slightly worse!  Internet research shows many other non smart dimmer brands affected too, with people trying multiple brands and bulbs too, to no avail.

Finally, my last ditch effort was to install a ripple filter. It sits on the lighting circuit before all the dimmers. There are two frequencies used, you want 750Hz. Check this product out  

Please login or register to see this link.

@Tobian - one other thought, try changing parameter 38, Brightness level correction for flickering loads

Changing this parameter was not something I tried - would be interested to know if this fixes your issue without the need for the ripple filter.