Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Switch wires for Dimmer 2

Mark G

Question

Hi There,

I'm wondering what types of wires are suitable for connecting to the switch inputs of the Fibaro Dimmer 2, when wired with a neutral wire.

I only have Cat 6 cables running to some of my wall switches. I was thinking I could use individual pairs of this cable to attach to the switch inputs of a Fibaro dimmer in a central cupboard (mounted to a DIN rail).

But I'm worried that the switch inputs might see the full 240V mains potential, and these may not be safe?

Would Cat 6 conductors be suitable for connecting to the switch inputs?

Thanks,

Mark

5 answers to this question

It's 240V mains circuitry, so you definately need double insulated mains cable ("TPS"). Not cat 6.

Hi for information to comply with regulations in the UK, if its controlling the lighting circuit, i.e. load would be straight through a minimum of 1.0mm is required. If its used as a controlling wire i.e. via a contactor or suchlike it can be 0.5mm or if controlling extra low voltage can be a minimum of 0.75mm. CAT 6 cannot be used for lighting. Flexible cables can be used but I would recommend the use of terminal ferrules fitted on the ends.

On 11/25/2020 at 6:36 AM, Mark G said:

Hi There,

I'm wondering what types of wires are suitable for connecting to the switch inputs of the Fibaro Dimmer 2, when wired with a neutral wire.

I only have Cat 6 cables running to some of my wall switches. I was thinking I could use individual pairs of this cable to attach to the switch inputs of a Fibaro dimmer in a central cupboard (mounted to a DIN rail).

But I'm worried that the switch inputs might see the full 240V mains potential, and these may not be safe?

Would Cat 6 conductors be suitable for connecting to the switch inputs?

Thanks,

Mark

I was wanting to ask the same question. On a dimmer 2, can I use a much smaller wire for the switches, since they shouldn't be carrying the full load. Like 16 Guage? 

30 minutes ago, Tasky said:

On a dimmer 2, can I use a much smaller wire for the switches, since they shouldn't be carrying the full load. Like 16 Guage

No. The reason is that the wire needs to be sized for fault currents. The cable current carrying capacity needs to be higher than the circuit protection rating. This is to prevent fires.

In many countries DIY electrical work is illegal and there is a reason for that!

@Mark G

If you have to use a Cat6 wiring harness, you can help with a safe 12 / 24V voltage, which will help you control the switches with additional relays in the electrical switchboard. Only connect the appropriate dimmer / switch inputs to the contacts of these relays.

Another option, if you do not need dimming directly, is to use SmartImplant in a similar spirit.
My implementations:

Please login or register to see this link.

If you observe the correct parameters of the relay (correct control voltage, maximum controlled power, insulation strength, IP protection ..) it will comply with the normative regulations.

I recommend going through various posts, when FBerges and I comment on these procedures.

And happy to conclude. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, I recommend leaving it to an expert. Property or life are at stake !.