Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Heat Controller and Heat Activator not working properly

marlo

Question

I'm new to the Fibaro system but I'm quite disappointed. The problem is how the Heat Controller works. I have installed this heating system on one floor of the house and I also bought it on the other floor but I don't know if I will install it for these problems. I'll probably sell it because it's a disaster. I expected better software processing from these systems. Fibaro presents itself as a top on the smart market, but my disappointment is great. With such a large financial investment.

Issue # 1:
When I set all heads to OFF, sometimes the Heat Activator does not turn off because some heads still make a request for heating even when it is turned off. Check image:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Issue # 2:
When I return all the heads to the weekly plan, sometimes some head does not take over the temperature from the weekly plan but sets a different temperature I don't know how. I will solve this only by manually setting the given head to a certain temperature and then returning it and then it will take over the temperature from the weekly schedule.

Issue # 3:
The hysteresis on these heads works strangely.
When I have set the temperature to 21 ° C, the hysteresis is about 2 to 3 ° C, which means that when it reaches the desired temperature, then it regulates only in the range of 19 to 20 ° C and does not reach the desired temperature.

Issue # 4:
The graph of temperature and setpoint temperature shows values that I do not understand.
When I have set the temperature to 22 ° C, the request is drawn in a special way and shows the desired temperature of 22.5 ° C. Even when the head is off, the setpoint is displayed in the graph as a temperature that is not even in the weekly schedule.

One more question? Does anyone know what this graph is and why it can't be displayed?

• Like 1

Hi,

I have been experiencing similar problems described above, and I have found after deeper investigation that there might be a problem in updating device parameters through the z-Wave network not being fast enough to drive the boiler switching ON/OFF. It put me off using the Fibaro Heat Activator based on the parameter "heat demand", as it will never work as desired.

Hence I developed a Quick App that cycle through heating heads and checks if the temperature of any of them is below than desired. If yes, it switches the boiler device ON. You can still set up the temperature by Climate profiles or local manual overrides, the app considers it.

Feel free to download it and use it if such approach works for you...

The application panel:

Device Configuration:

BoilerSwitchID - use ID of your switch controlling boiler ON/OFF (my is 43)

FreezeProtect - is the temperature "behind the scenes" when you switch heat thermostat to OFF

MaxTemperature - is the temperature "behind the scenes" when you switch heat thermostat to MAX

UpdateInterval - is time between checks in seconds

Hysteresis - value in degree Celsius (or Fahrenheit) decreasing switching off point to allow hysteresis reach the desired temperature.

Output to console:

It keeps writing this output into system console:  

Edited by Roman Pavlis
Updated app based on proposals in this forum.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @marlo,

Got the same issue's.

Also if the heads are demanding no heat, the heat activator keeps the heater switch on, or after a reboot if I switch manualy set the heater switch to off, it will never switch on again.

I'm waiting for the next update of the HC3. If this next release has no update for the heat activator, I will contact Fibaro support, see what they have to say about this issue.

But good to know I'm not the only one with these kond of problems.

I though about using the heat activator instead of a script that I had running. However, when I looked at which heat controllers it thought should be active - it was much less reliable that a script. 

I also have problems like this. Fibaro support replied that they know for problems with following schedules and wrong setpoint. I hope they understand how serious the problem is. Today I had 27C in one room, hot radiator, while set point was 22C

I suggest you report it to the support.

Hey guys,

fortunately I do not experience such a troubles as you do.

Just one thing I do not understand, the flag "Needs heating" goes to NO only after the temperature from the sensor goes 1C over the setpoint.

So in practice it works like 

- set point 21

- temperature 22 - boiler off

- temperature 21.9 - boiler on

the 1C over set point is annoying, but could be solved by changing the climate plan to reduce each setpoint by 1C (not an elegant solution, but OK)

But what I do not understand, why there is only 0.1C window for ON-OFF, I rather have it 1 or even 1.5C, as like this the boiler switching on and off every 10mins or so.

I do run 5.090.17 on HC3L and 4.7 on Heat Controller.

I've seen in the patch notes for 5.092.19 (beta) is mentioned "Fixes for Fibaro Heat Activator plugin." Does anyone know what those fixes relates to? I am little reluctant to try it yet as is still in beta.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Jan90 said:

Does anyone know what those fixes relates to?

Unfortunately, there is no description for this "revolution in heating system" with Innovative room analysis algorithm and color control (

Please login or register to see this link.

)

I have them in my home office so I can hear all day how they are opening and closing valves. I have a simple script to monitor heatingThermostatSetpoint, current temperature and status of heatRequired and it does not work so simple like this:

1 hour ago, Jan90 said:

So in practice it works like 

- set point 21

- temperature 22 - boiler off

- temperature 21.9 - boiler on

But the logic is a "black box".

It is php script so you need some web server.

hey @K.Drozynskior whoever has FGT-001 on charge, please tag him here.

Issue #1: The "Heat demand" keeps hanging. The temperature is over more then 1-5C and the heat demand is still on.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2022_01/1850146805_Screenshot2022-01-16at22_47_59.png.a63b098fd6f6492f07872ca6ab0000c9.png" />

Issue #2: The "Heat Demand" hangs even when the FGT-001 is set to Off. Only manually setting the parametr OFF and the ON again will clear the "HeatDemand" flag. as @marlo

Issue #4: The connected Temperature sensor shows 23C (the room is max 21C IRL), the graphs shows the temperature as 20C.

Issue #5: Schedule is set to 21.5C, But Thermostat says 20, but HVAC node says 21.5, temperature is 22.5C, heat demand is off - and I can hear the valve open and the heat coming in...WHAT? I'm sitting next to the valve and I could hear it open, when should be closed due to a) schedule b) temperature

339015671_Screenshot2022-01-16at22_47_49.png.dca3d8090f8c475a2e88f3f799b4c405.png

/monthly_2022_01/1850146805_Screenshot2022-01-16at22_47_59.png.a63b098fd6f6492f07872ca6ab0000c9.png" />

Issue #6: The Heater itself is setting to 18C. I never manualy, or via schedule set it to 18C? WTF!

WTF is "moderate regulator behaviour" there is no info about it anywhere, nor here, nor on your pages. Try search for it.

Request: we need to set a Hysteresis for FGT-001.

Edited by martinpreiss
Clarify the mainhaim
  • Like 1

W dniu 16.01.2022 o 20:17, martinpreiss napisał:

hey @K.Drozynskior whoever has FGT-001 on charge, please tag him here.

Issue #1: The "Heat demand" keeps hanging. The temperature is over more then 1-5C and the heat demand is still on.

Issue #2: The "Heat Demand" hangs even when the FGT-001 is set to Off. Only manually setting the parametr OFF and the ON again will clear the "HeatDemand" flag. as @marlo

Issue #4: The connected Temperature sensor shows 23C (the room is max 21C IRL), the graphs shows the temperature as 20C.

Issue #5: Schedule is set to 21.5C, But Thermostat says 20, but HVAC node says 21.5, temperature is 22.5C, heat demand is off - and I can hear the valve open and the heat coming in...WHAT? I'm sitting next to the valve and I could hear it open, when should be closed due to a) schedule b) temperature

Issue #6: The Heater itself is setting to 18C. I never manualy, or via schedule set it to 18C? WTF!

WTF is "moderate regulator behaviour" there is no info about it anywhere, nor here, nor on your pages. Try search for it.

Request: we need to set a Hysteresis for FGT-001.

Hey,

I am not in charge of the device but I am forwarding all the provided details to the right person.

Hi.
I have already given up the heating solution according to "Heat Activator" and also according to the weekly schedule.
I threw EventRunner4 on my HC3.

Here are the rules for heating:

There is a rule for each valve: If the temperature set on the head is less than the temperature measured by the head, turn on the boiler. I solve the hysteresis individually on each head so that I enter a measured temperature of 0.5 in the rule.

Another rule:
If there is no movement in the room 30 min. set the heat on the head to 18 degrees. If it detects movement, set the temperature on the head to 24 degrees.

Last rule: It compares the set temperature with the measured temperature and if it agrees that the measured temperature is higher than the set one for all heads, it switches off the boiler.

I have other conditions inserted there, for example:

- at 23:59 - 4:00 do not change the temperature on the head when registering the movement
- when the average outdoor temperature is above 12 degrees, switch off the heating completely.

example:

sets the head to 23 degrees if the following conditions are met:

1, movement is disturbed

2, the switch for manual boiler shutdown is in the ON state

3, the switch for manual temperature reduction is in the ON state

4, the average outdoor temperature is less than 12 degrees. I calculate the average temperature from the internet temperature and 3 of my outdoor thermometers.

5, the head has a set temperature of 18 degrees

6, there is no time period 23: 59-4: 00

rule("_Kancel_pohyb:breached & (Vypni_kotol_MANUAL:isOn) & (Zniz_teplo_MANUAL:isOn) & (sum(PriemerTempVonku:temp)/size(PriemerTempVonku) <= 12) & (_Kancel_hlavica_:heatingThermostatSetpoint == 18) 
& 04:00..23:59 => _Kancel_hlavica_:heatingThermostatSetpoint = 23")

This rule melts the head to a temperature of 18 degrees if not 30 minutes. movement in the room

1, counts 30min. from the time when the motion sensor went into intact mode

2, the head has a set temperature of 23 degrees

3, the average outdoor temperature is less than 12 degrees. I calculate the average temperature from the internet temperature and 3 of my outdoor thermometers.

rule("trueFor(00:30,_Kancel_pohyb:safe) & (_Kancel_hlavica_:heatingThermostatSetpoint == 23) & (sum(PriemerTempVonku:temp)/size(PriemerTempVonku) <= 12) => _Kancel_hlavica_:heatingThermostatSetpoint = 18") 

This rule sends a request every 5 minutes to turn on the boiler if the following conditions are met:

1, the switch for manual boiler shutdown is in the ON state

2, the average outdoor temperature is less than 12 degrees. I calculate the average temperature from the internet temperature and 3 of my outdoor thermometers.

3, the temperature is set on the head - 1 (hysteresis) is higher than the measured room temperature.

at the end it lists the set and measured temperatures in the log

rule("@@00:05:00 & (Vypni_kotol_MANUAL:isOn) & (sum(PriemerTempVonku:temp)/size(PriemerTempVonku) <= 12) & (_Kancel_hlavica_:heatingThermostatSetpoint-1 > (_Kancel_Temperature:value)) => _Kotol_:on; log('Zapínam kotol ********************Teploty v KANCELÁRII sú:Teplo v izbe=%s %s %s',_Kancel_Temperature:value,'Teplo požadované=',_Kancel_hlavica_:heatingThermostatSetpoint)")

This rule switches off the boiler when it is heated everywhere.

1, checks the conditions every 2 minutes

2, the switch for manual boiler shutdown is in the ON state

3, the temperature set on the head is less than or equal to the measured temperature (4 headers are used in the rule)

at the end it will write to the log: I will switch off the boiler ...... "hurááá" .... the temperatures are according to the requirements

rule("@@00:02:00 & (_Kotol_:isOn) & (_Kancel_hlavica_:heatingThermostatSetpoint <= (_Kancel_Temperature:value)) & (_Dielna_hlavica_:heatingThermostatSetpoint <= (_Dielna_Hlavica_Temp:value)) & (_Detska_Hlavica1_:heatingThermostatSetpoint <= (_Detska_Hlavica1_Temp_:value)) & (_Detska_Hlavica2_:heatingThermostatSetpoint <= (_Detska_Hlavica2_Temp_:value))  => _Kotol_:off; log('Vypínam kotol ********************  H U R A A A A A......Teploty sú podla požiadaviek')")

• Like 2

• Inquirer
  • On 1/19/2022 at 11:15 AM, K.Drozynski said:

Hey,

I am not in charge of the device but I am forwarding all the provided details to the right person.

It would be time to put it in order as Fiboro heads are the most expensive on the market and do not work as they have. My wife wants to kick me out of the house, once it's cold at home then the body. The idea of a smart house is to save on costs, but I'll pay more for now.

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • On 1/19/2022 at 11:15 AM, K.Drozynski said:

Hey,

I want to ask if someone in Fibaro is already solving this problem, as it has been quite a while, but the problems are still there!

On 11/15/2022 at 6:27 PM, Roman Pavlis said:

Hi,

I have been experiencing similar problems described above, and I have found after deeper investigation that there might be a problem in updating device parameters through the z-Wave network not being fast enough to drive the boiler switching ON/OFF. It put me off using the Fibaro Heat Activator based on the parameter "heat demand", as it will never work as desired.

Hence I developed a Quick App that cycle through heating heads and checks if the temperature of any of them is below than desired. If yes, it switches the boiler device ON. You can still set up the temperature by Climate profiles or local manual overrides, the app considers it.

The application panel:

Device Configuration:

FreezeProtect - is the temperature "behind the scenes" when you switch heat thermostat to OFF

MaxTemperature - is the temperature "behind the scenes" when you switch heat thermostat to MAX

Output to console:

Download the Quick App here...

Hi Roman,

I like this Quick App a lot. Simple but very useful. Tried it for 1 day now and so far all good once I changed it slightly...

The quick app is not considering the Hysterisis. What happened initially was that the heating should be turned on (it was 20.9 actual and setpoint was at 21), but the heating valve didn't open yet. So the heating was burning without any effect.

I changed one line to consider the hysterisis:

line 113: 

if setpoint-0.4 > currentTemp then

/monthly_2022_11/image.png.6555284a837f4e7b90c8d19e54fae6da.png" />

Perhaps this can be set as a parameter.

Thanks for the Quick App.

13 hours ago, Bob Romijn said:

Hi Roman,

I like this Quick App a lot. Simple but very useful. Tried it for 1 day now and so far all good once I changed it slightly...

The quick app is not considering the Hysterisis. What happened initially was that the heating should be turned on (it was 20.9 actual and setpoint was at 21), but the heating valve didn't open yet. So the heating was burning without any effect.

I changed one line to consider the hysterisis:

line 113: 

if setpoint-0.4 > currentTemp then

Perhaps this can be set as a parameter.

Thanks for the Quick App.

Hi Bob,

thank you for your feedback, I'm glad the app does what you need it to do. Indeed, the app was not considered a hysteresis however I have modified the app as you suggested and republished the code, so it does allow hysteresis settings through variables now. :D 

• Like 1

Hello,
    Is there already an effective solution that solves the above problems?
    The second issue is whether the thermostatic head can be paired with the temperature sensor in the motion sensor? There, too, there is a measurement of tempreature and the location is usually better. Is only a dedicated sensor an option?

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 6:27 PM, Roman Pavlis said:

Hi,

The application panel:

Device Configuration:

Hysteresis - value in degree Celsius (or Fahrenheit) decreasing switching off point to allow hysteresis reach the desired temperature.

Output to console:

Thanks a lot for sharing your custom Heat Activator. But IMO triggering boiler with hysteresis makes not much sense when using Fibaro Heat Controller. It's is blackbox and it communicates heating demand with parameter "heatRequired": true. If you set hysteresis condition on the top of that you may overheat the boiler (boiler is running, but Fibaro Heat controller is closed or barely opened).

Please login or register to see this code.

On 11/25/2022 at 10:33 PM, Tazovsky said:

"heatRequired": true

The problem is, this does not work. I have 16 of those Fibaro Heat Controllers and usually at least one of the has "heatRequired": true even if the demanded temperature is lower then current temperature (e.g. demanded 10 °C, current 17°C). The other problem is the Heat Controller is often closed when "heatRequired": true so the Heat Pump is working against a closed valve.