Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Control RGBW 2 with a button for just brightness (how??)

petervanderpol

Question

Dear all,

I have been reading many posts all over the internet, but I didn't find a new/pure answer (Or I got it wrong).

I want to be able to use a single momentary switch to control the brightness (1-100) of the color it is in at that moment.

Color I want to be able to set using smartphone or HC2.

• I have an Fibaro HC2
  • I have an RGBW 2 module
  • Momentary/pulse switch is connected to IN1 and to ground.
  • I have an RGBWarm-White Ledstrip connected to R-G-B-W.

That is all, how can I configure this without Parameter 14?

I am so confused.

Thank you! Really looking forward to your reply.

Edited by petervanderpol

1 answer to this question

• Inquirer
  • Okay, will be giving an answer to my own question;

What I want:

I want to switch my RGBW lighting with a button (preferably 3), where I want the RGBW lighting to remember the last color configuration it was in.

With this button, I would also like to have the ability to dim the lighting as I can do with the Fibaro Dimmer.

Problem description:

Per default (With a Homecenter 2 & Parameter 14 missing) this is not supported.

The Line in (1,2,3,4) correspondate only with the automatically mapped color (Red, Green, Blue, White).

If you attach a momentary switch to on of the lines, only thát color will light-up. 

The other problem is that the RGBW is an 12/24 volts system, if you live in (for instance the Netherlands) you don't want to have a 220volt and 24volts setup in the same system.(Later in time you might be confused and blow-up things).

How to solve:

The only way how to solve this with an HC2 is to use an extra Fibaro Dimmer (2) module (warning: This setup is only tested with a dimmer 2 module & RGBW 2 module)

This way, when clicking the switch attached to your dimmer will also activate your RGBW module.

The only issue I have noticed is that the signal from the dimmer module to the RGBW module is only send when you have released your button while dimming.
    This makes it a bit tricky to get the correct brightness as you are used with the dimmer modules.

Step 1: Install your fibaro dimmer 2 how you would normally also install this, this can be standard or with multi-way switches. I have used this:

Please login or register to see this image.

Step 2:  Install your fibaro RGBW 2 with the 12v/24v system with your leds, do not attach a switch, this is useless.

Step 3:  Configure your modules in Fibaro, make sure that you name the modules as  you can idenfity them, you will need these names in the next steps

Step 4:  Go into HC2 and open your dimmer device, go to Advanced and select "Setting Association"

Step 5:  Open ENDPOINT 0 , select Group 2 and now select your RGBW device

Step 6:  Press 'Save'

Step 7:  Check if it works.

This is how it works for me, I've made an sample setup where I have started with a normal 2-switch dimmer 2 setup. (dimmer 2 is underneath the bottem switch build-in).

On the top right corner, I've added the LED (24v) system with the RGBW 2 module. This is associated with the Dimmer 2 module.
    I've kept the light attached, which is in this example a bit weird because you would probably only control the leds with it. But it does give a little bit more clarity towards the dimming.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Peter