Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How to choose capacitor on LM2940??

peedewguy

Hello there, I’m just an electronic hobbyist. So I read the LM2940 

Please login or register to see this link.

and know that I need two capacitors, and they must also be rated higher than my voltages as well.
Now I’m confused about ESR and capacitor type, how to choose them?
Because ESR isn’t listed on data sheets, at least not on the ones I’m looking at.
Btw do you guys have any more specific introduction to LM2940, all I can found on the internet which introduces it more in details is this article:

Please login or register to see this link.

but it doesn’t have the answer to my question.
Thank you in advance.

I've never worried about ESR.i just use electrolytic capacitors for power regulation, but it doesn't really matter. You can use green caps or mkts as well. 

What’s the relationship with Fibaro here?

I reported this question as "potential SPAM" which might be... jumping to conclusions and definitely not very kind of me. But I think this post is copy/pasted from somewhere else, to make the "spam filters" on this board think it is legitimate.

If it is a true question, I apologise. And I will answer the question... See "Figure 20. Output Capacitor ESR" in the data sheet :D. It is important because this type of LDO oscillates if ESR is too low or too high (say good range 0.03 to 1 ohm).

• Thanks 1