Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Hardwired PIR driving scene activation or neglect power off

Maarten_

Question

Hi,

I have a standard hardwired PIR in the alley. It’s connected to a light. PIR can be set to turn on the power for 10sec to 15minutes.

What I want to do is control the behaviour with HC3. 

What I found from the manual is that it seems that S1 = on mean Q1 = on, S1 = off means Q1 = off, just as it would with a toggle switch.

Here are the drawbacks for me:

1- if I turn on the light by other means than the PIR and the PIR will detect motion, it will send an “off” after the set delay and turn off the light while I want it to stay on.

2- if this PIR is triggered and someone has been in the garage (Z-wave PIR there) I know for sure that they will go into the garden. so I want the garden lights on, and keep it all on for 30 minutes including the lamp connected to the PIR.

3- if just this PIR is triggered I like the current standard behaviour of switching the light on for 10 minutes.

main question

All of this is rather easy to program with variables and scenes in HC3 if the PIR would NOT turn the light off.

Ideally it would trigger a scene. Is this doable?

sub questions/ideas

1- is 10 seconds short enough to trigger a scene via parameter 28 (28. S1 switch - scenes sent) set to ‘8’?

2- is it possible to use parameter 30 (30. S1 switch - associations sent to 2nd and 3rd association groups) set to ‘4’ to ignore the “off” command?

hope someone can help me out…

thanks,

Maarten

1 answer to this question

Your PIR doesn't "send an off" after the delay, it physically breaks the circuit. A 240V PIR requires power all the time to run itself (so it will have a live/neutral feed which it requires to be powered, mine use <1w each when powered), and when the powered PIR detects motion it switches on the circuit, passing switched power to the load (light). I.e. it is a switch, but uses a small powered motion detection circuit to activate the switch component. 

So... when the switch is off (i.e. delay has completed and turned off the light) the only way you can keep the light on is to provide alternate power to the load. I've just completed a similar approach, see my separate thread on PIRs.