Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer in 2-way double switches

Wigster

Question

Hi,

I have two separate lights which are wired into double toggle switches and the whole thing is two-way (two separate places where I can switch each light on/off). I think I got the terminology correct, but apologies if not.

I would like to be able to dim both of these lights. I can probably physically fit one dimmer in each of the boxes behind the switches, but not two in one. I think this should be ok, essentially one dimmer per circuit.

Then I would like to swap the toggle switches to momentary ones. Will it be ok that I have a momentary switches in the light switch box 2 even if the dimmer is placed only in switch box 1?

3 answers to this question

Good plan to use momentary switches. They are fine to be located away from the Dimmer2. You can have multiple momentary switches - just wire them in parallel. 

Theres a catch in that both Dimmers need direct  access to the wire that leads to the light(s). They also both need a permanent live connection. So i cant think of a way how to achieve it because you probably wont have that behind both switches. One box will have access to live the other to the light, and 4 wires in between the boxes. All 4 wires are already needed to parallel the switches (S1/Sx), so you cannot carry through a permanent live as well.

• Inquirer
  • Yeah, I had no idea how this works. I've opened up one box, and found just the wires leadings to the other box, which I can't really use for anything as far as I understand. On the other hand, the primary box has some many cables in it, it is impossible to fit anything extra. I think the only way to do this is to just get smart light bulbs and control it there.