Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Wall Plug turns on by itself after off command

ThomasA

Question

Hi,

my Wall Plug turns on by itself after I send it an off command.

It turns off for one second and then back on again. This does not happen always but in about 80-90% of the cases.

The problem seems to only occur when I connect the LED Christmas lights to it.

They use a power supply/transformer with power rating: 24V, 375mA.

Is there a known problem with inductive low power loads?

Any workarounds?

The plug is about three years old.

7 answers to this question

Interesting observation. 

I have a similar issue actually, perhaps it is the same undelying problem. In my case, it is when I use the button on the plug itself. The plug is off for a few seconds and then turns on again.

Same as you, I have it low powered LED light connected. Just 4.5 W. 

The size of the load should not really matter, since it is a mechanical relay that handles the switching. But, the plug is aware of the load size so perhaps there is a glitch in the software.

I will connect other types of load to it and see if the behaviour changes. 

On 12/6/2021 at 3:29 PM, perjar said:

The size of the load should not really matter, since it is a mechanical relay that handles the switching

So it is.

What happens when you unplug the lights and switch on/off the plug. What indicates the ring?

• Inquirer
  • Just bought a brand new plug. It shows the same behaviour.

I hoped Fibaro fixed this issue in newer plugs but the problem is the same.

49 minutes ago, ThomasA said:

Just bought a brand new plug. It shows the same behaviour.

I hoped Fibaro fixed this issue in newer plugs but the problem is the same.

I have the same problems with new fibaro wallplugs.

I use one for my christmas tree, when i turn it off, it sometimes goes on after a seconde and visaversa.

Also in the app, i don't use it, only to check. sometimes the tree is off and the app shows it's on.

The aeotec switch 7 works as it should (bought a couple of those to replace the fibaro wallplugs)

I have dozen of Fibaro wall plugs and most of them are purchased several years ago (FGWP101). No problems ever with this old ones except that on some of them I had to remove child protection to be able to connect plug.

Problematic is the one that is z-wave 500 (FGWP102) included to HC2 on latest firmware. Sometimes after switching it off it turns back on by itself, but status in HC2 shows that is turned off. Also this plug after some time is reported as unreachable "Communication error" and nothing helps except resetting it and including again.

@m.roszak can you please explain why this plug is malfunctioning and is there is any solution?

A variant of this topic, first reported in 2017 and still a mystery... Join the club:

It's been speculated that

• It could be specific load
    • bug in firmware
    • bug in SDK
    • Specific to certain networks or even home IDs

The only common thing is "it acts as if it disappears from the Z-Wave network" and the only solution is  re-include.

Not sure if a peak overload condition has anything to do with it, but I expect it to handle that gracefully and besides that would be from off to on then back on again, and you say after "off" it turns back on again which imho cannot be triggered by overload.

Anyway, the result is the same: you are unable to communicate with it and it requires a reset and "add device" to get it back...

I have the same problem!

Last week I set up my Christmas tree LED lights controlled by a Fibaro wall plug at sunset/ sunrise. All went well for two days, then the lights began switching OFF unexpectedly.

I found this happened each time my bathroom heating - also controlled by a Fibaro wall plug - switched to OFF!

A factory reset of the wall plug, didn't help.

I have been using some 12 Fibaro wall plugs for many years (controlled by Homeseer), never experienced this before.

Any advice?