Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro implant in car to notice opened door

JeroenMartens

Question

Hello all,

recently someone broke into my car and stole quite some important ingredients of my dashboard; airbags, steeringwheel, navigation etc.

I have a complete Fibaro setup for every light in my house and garden and now I am wondering if it is possible to get the implant into my car. I would have to power it on 12V, no problem in the car I would guess. But I would like the implant to send a signal when the door opens, or when the interior light goes on.

Could anyone help me with this? I would guess there would be an option that if the Implant gets a current on an input, it could send a signal to my HC3?

This requires some knowledge on the implant, as well of the car electronics. Both are not my field-of-play :)

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jeroen

(BMW 320, 2018, model F30)

4 answers to this question

Thanks a pretty annoying situation to experience.

For the wiring, I suggest going to an auto electrician with diagram 7 from the manual 

Please login or register to see this link.

Couple of issues to think about:

A car body is normally a metallic screen that might interfere with the zwave signal, so consider where to place it

Will the zwave signal be able to reach your controller when car parked at home (maybe you have a garage)

What does your controller do when you drive away, does it mark the node as dead and not reconnect when you return?  You may need an LUA scene that keep keeps checking for the cars return.

Hello,

Consider to use Fibaro PIR. If car is parcked drop him on small plate.

If driving PIR fixed upside down in a bowl.

You can make QA or scene If house armed pir= armed

Extend with if you are at home or away.

Or if a certain light is on car is under protection.

//Sjakie

• Inquirer
  • Thanks guys!

Tim; as far for the cage effect; I already tested that and no problem. Maybe if the battery drops?

Diagram 7, will look into that! Looks like you need an additional binary ssensor? Or does this just mean "something that sends a 0-12v signal".

Sjakie; thanks for the help but I think you mean something to show if the car is present or not. My question is about opening of a door in specific. When they broke into my car, they left it in the driveway, so I think your solution would not help me in that case. For stealing the car, it already has built in GPS.

Thanks so far.

You don't need an extra sensor. You can wire the door switches to the smart implant and it will therefore be able to sense when a door is opened.